Thorns and Roses

"Here." Eto held out an envelope filled with money to Ayato. "Take this and go buy what you want, or need."

Before Ayato could fully comprehend what she just did, Eto walked off with a skip in her step.
--
When she turned around a corner, she bumped into Tatara, "why'd you give him all that money?" He asked in his usual monotonous voice.

"To give him a little push."

"But what if he gets something other than what you expected him to get?"

"He'll get what he needs."

Tatara's expression remained stoic, "and what is that?"

The shorter of the two looked up and smiled at him, "you know what it is." She sighed and skipped past him, "we're having a meeting soon, don't be late."
--
When you woke up that morning, you were told that there was a meeting. Being one of the last to sit by the meeting table, you didn't notice anyone missing until you took a moment to observe your surroundings.

"Um, Eto?" You said meekly, "where's Ayato?"

"He's out doing some chores," she smiled at you, "he'll be back soon."

"Alright, then."

"Anyways," Eto raised her voice to catch the attention of all the Aogiri members, "I've called you all here to inform you that the Tsukiyama Family will be hunted down by the CCG soon. We've been contacted to send a few of us to help them make their escape.

"I'll be choosing those who will be taking part in the assistance. The first of which will be (Y/N)."
--
This was a lot of cash. Ayato walked down the street towards the jewellery store with the envelope in his pocket. His hand was pressed firmly against it subconsciously.

It was only a few steps away from the place when he realised that he knew smack about jewellery. Touka wasn't fond of it and his mother wasn't either.
--
Luckily, the shop assistant helped him out and he left an hour later with the rings kept safely in a box which he carried around in a neat plastic bag. Alright, he thought, now comes the difficult part.
--
When he returned to headquarters, Ayato his the bag in his room before finding you. He checked your room, the bathrooms, the kitchen, the other rooms but to no avail. This leaves one place, the purple-haired ghoul sighed and went up to the rooftop.

He relaxed slightly when he spotted you sitting on the concrete ground, arms wrapped around your knees which were pulled up to your chest. You looked worried, which in return made him even more worried.

"(Y/N)?" He said, causing you to jump a little. You turned around and smiled at him. "What're you doing here?" He asked as he sat beside you.

"I'm just thinking..." You replied before resting your chin on your knees. "Ayato," you said after a moment of silence.

"Yeah?" He wrapped an arm around your shoulders and pulled you towards him.

"You know the Tsukiyama mission?"

"What about it?"

"I've been chosen to assist in the escape."

Ayato's breath hitched in his throat as a strange flurry of emotions gripped at his heart. That mission was dangerous, so dangerous even he wasn't chosen. He was so overwhelmed by his sudden emotions that he forgot about the rings he left hidden in his cupboard.

What's Eto thinking?