Cold

You'd been in Aogiri for a week now and all was quite OK; the people were surprisingly polite and it was the longest you've spent with Ayato for an extremely long time.
--
Your mask had arrived a few days after you joined and it looked pretty good; it was beautifully crafted yet brutally intimidating at the same time.

You heard from Eto that Aogiri currently had nothing to do so most of the time you spent just getting used to the environment and spending time with Ayato... Or at least you tried to.

He was suddenly different towards you, he was less affectionate and more like his old self, cold, brutally honest and, to be frank, it was taking a toll on your emotions.
--
"Ayato, let's go take a walk!"

"No, thanks."

"But-"

"I said no."
--
"Ayato, can I share your bed with you?"

"What! Why?"

"I just-"

"You have your own bed, don't you?"

"Yeah but-"

"Goodnight, (Y/N)."
--
"Ayato, spend some time with me, please?"

"No, I can't-"

"Just five minutes?"

"(Y/N), I already said n-"

"Two minutes?"

"No! Just-"

"Just a second, ple-"

"Stop being so annoying, (Y/N)!"

"Aya-"

"Leave me alone."
--
Just thinking about his sudden change made you tear up and your heart twist painfully. But you were persistent, you carried on trying to get his full attention until some day, you just stopped entirely. No reason. No nothing. You felt nothing anymore so you just stopped. You were used to how cold your new life felt.
--
Ayato felt so bad. Every time he turned you down, a sad and awfully dejected look always appeared on your face, and every time he looked at it, he had a bitter taste in his mouth and his heart ached.

He was stuck between being ridiculed by his fellow ghouls and openly showering you with love, or keep his high status and hope that you wouldn't leave him anytime soon. He always chose the latter as he felt a little bit of reassurance whenever you continued to ask his to spend time with you; but his heart fell when you actually stopped.
--
He was walking past your room when he heard a 'clink' sound, like something small and metallic was being thrown against a hard surface. Ayato stopped in his tracks and waited for a few minutes before entering your room quietly.

Your back was facing him and your body rose and fell at a constant rate, so you most likely were already asleep. Ayato relaxed a little before trying to see what had been tossed onto the ground, he assumed.

He looked for a good ten minutes and as he was about to give up, he noticed something round and silver in color twinkling faintly on the ground, catching his attention. Ayato picked it up and froze, he bit his lip until it bled in order to stop him from crying, even though it was just a little bit. His chest was aching terribly and he almost made a sound; Ayato stood on your room, holding the ring he'd given you a short while ago and wondered,

When did his world get so cold?