Chapter Six: My Haven

"Mom, what do you have planned for tomorrow?" I asked, breaking the silence on our way back to my grandparents' house.

"Nothing really, your dad is supposed to call. So, I'm staying home. What do you want to do?"

"I want to take the whole day and hike in the mountains. I only get a few hours after school to run. There are some areas I'd like to explore in the daylight."

"I don't know if I feel comfortable with you up there by yourself. What if something happens?"

"I'll take a bag of essentials: cell phone, first aid kit, water, food, map, and chalk to mark the trees. I've hiked enough with Dad to know what precautions to take."

Mom sighed, "Let me think about it."

We were silent the rest of the way to my grandparents' house. When we pulled into the driveway, Mom turned to me. "Okay, you can go unless the weather is bad, but you have to call every few hours to check in. And you definitely have to be back before dark."

I grinned. "Thanks, Mom. I promise to call and I'll be back before dark."

I ran to my room, making sure to plug my phone in the charger and pack all the essentials in my bag. Mom came in and handed me a flashlight. "Take this just in case."

"Oh, thanks. I didn't think about a flashlight."

"Well, if you have it, you won't need it," she joked. "You better get some sleep if you want an early start. It's already past midnight."

"I'm almost finished. Good night. I'll see you in the morning."

"Good night, honey." She kissed me on the forehead.

* * *

To my amazement, I awoke to the sun shining in a clear blue sky. I threw my clothes on. With the unpredictable weather I wanted to be prepared, so I decided to wear my favorite yoga pants, a tank top, T-shirt, and hoodie just in case the weather took a dive.

With my backpack and iPod in hand I sprinted down the stairs, but stopped halfway to run back and get my cell phone. Don't want to forget this.

Mom sat at the kitchen table and smiled when I entered. She handed me a plastic bag with a sandwich, apple, banana and energy bars. She had another bag with three frozen waters.

"Mom, what would I do without you?"

"I don't want you to get hungry."

"I appreciate it." I gave her a quick hug.

"Just promise me you'll be careful."

"I promise. I've got everything I need, including a book and small blanket. I have my cell phone on vibrate. Call me anytime."

"Don't worry, I plan on it."

I ate a few pieces of toast and had a glass of milk before heading out the door. "I'll call in a few hours." I leaned down to kiss her. "I love you."

"I love you too."

"Oh, when Dad calls, tell him hello and I love him. I'll e-mail him when I get back tonight."

"Okay," she waved.

I'm free. I ran up the mountain hoping I could find that small, secluded meadow. I figured if I concentrated on that, it would keep my mind off the drama with Lucas.

A light breeze lifted my hair and I inhaled the fresh morning. Running to upbeat and energizing dance tunes seemed to get me up the mountain faster. The treetops swayed in the wind, dancing along with the music in my ears. The mountain beckoned to me, drawing me into its magic. Getting an early start had been a great idea. I was completely and blissfully alone.