Chapter Seven: The Routine

I was eager to begin my new daily routine. The next morning, I hung out with Casey, but at lunchtime, I sat under a tree listening to music and reading more of Pride and Prejudice. I noticed Lucas with his friends, including Rachel, at one of the picnic tables across the courtyard. Throughout the day, I avoided Sasha. When I went to study hall, I expected to see Lucas, but he was nowhere in sight, which made it easier to get my homework done. I found that my day went smoother not having to sit for an hour with him only a few feet away.

This has been an easy day, I thought, on my way to my car. When I got to my grandparents' house, I went straight to my room to change and then made a quick appearance in the kitchen during teatime. I kissed Mom's cheek and headed out the door hollering, "Be back soon!"

I jogged to the curve that took me to my haven. Looking to make sure no one was around I slipped past the tree line and followed my tree markings. When I reached my spot, I spent the next few hours dancing and tumbling.

At five thirty, I made my way out of the forest, careful to check for traffic before exiting the tree line. I ran to my grandparents', changed my clothes, ate dinner, cleaned the kitchen, watched the evening news with gramps, and said good night for the evening. When I went to bed, I grinned because my day had gone so well. I'd figured out a way to get through the rest of the year.

The next few days followed the same routine. Avoiding Sasha was getting easier and Casey kept me entertained during our classes together. At lunch, I'd sometimes see Lucas, but he wasn't in study hall. The weather had been lovely and sunny for over a week, so I enjoyed my haven everyday after school. Everything was going so well.

Friday morning, I awoke to dark gray clouds. While I dressed for school I listened to the weather channel to get the seven day forecast. The announcer said rain and wind would last throughout the weekend and into next week.

"That sucks."

"What's wrong?" Mom heard me.

"Oh, the weather." I started to feel depressed.

"Well, you know what they say, April showers bring May flowers."

"I know, but I wanted to hike this weekend."

"You've been hiking a lot lately; it might be a good idea to take a break." She put her arm around my shoulders. "Why don't you call your friends and go shopping or something."

"Yeah, maybe." I kissed her cheek and walked out the door.

"Bye, honey."

The raindrops started falling when I drove into the school parking lot. I watched the other students run between the buildings and pulled my hood over my head, but it didn't help. My long thick hair wouldn't fit underneath. When I reached an overhang, I took my hood off and pulled my hair into a ponytail. Another bad hair day. I watched the rain pour and realized I'd have to eat lunch inside. How could I avoid Sasha's table?

Like normal, Casey waited at my locker wearing a super-sized smile. Unbelievably, her smile got bigger. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself.

"Good morning, Eliana."

"Hey, what's up with the grin?" I opened my locker and hung up my wet hoodie.

"So, Jack asked me to the prom yesterday after baseball practice," she blurted.

"Wow, that's great." I tried to match her enthusiasm. "I didn't realize you liked him."

"Oh, we've been flirting back and forth for most of the year." Casey's ear-to-ear grin wouldn't go away. "I'd hoped he'd ask me, but I wasn't sure."