Chapter Thirteen: The Wager

Lucas grabbed my hand. "So now that you've already ran, what are you going to do while I'm at practice?"

"I'm not sure." I looked at Casey. "Are you staying for practice?"

"I can't stay today, but I'll be here for tomorrow's game."

"I guess I'll listen to my iPod and brainstorm for the talent show."

Jack looked at Casey. "Lucas and I have to get going."

Casey said goodbye to Jack and I walked her to her car. "I still can't believe you're doing the talent show. You're really brave. You only have three weeks to prepare. Sasha and the girls have been working on their routine for months."

"I guess I'll just have to work extra hard."

"Well, if you need any help or ideas, I'm here."

"Casey, I think I'll be all right, but I'll keep that in mind."

I waved as she drove away, then I walked to Lucas' truck to grab my hoodie off the front seat before heading to the baseball field. I wanted to cover up. Thanks to Lucas, I knew I had a little fan club. Unfortunately, his truck was locked.

Great. Suddenly, the door unlocked. "What the..." I turned to see Lucas at the entrance to the baseball field with his keys pointed toward his truck. I waved and then opened the door to grab my hoodie and sunglasses.

When I reached the bleachers, Lucas was on the field stretching with the rest of the team. There were a few girls near the top, so I decided to sit toward the bottom. Thankfully, I had my iPod; I didn't feel like listening to anymore awful comments. I put my sunglasses on, and even though I got lost in my music, I kept my eyes fixed on Lucas. I watched his every move and the way his muscles flexed when he threw the ball. He was perfect in every way. To top it off, he looked really great in a baseball cap. I couldn't believe he'd chosen me. That slice of perfection was my boyfriend.

I started to think about the talent show. I needed to choose a song that would speak to me, but still get my message across. A few ideas for my dance came to mind, but I wanted to throw some curve balls, so to speak.

I leaned back and closed my eyes. I let the music flow through my head, trying to narrow my song choices. I actually dozed for a few minutes because the next thing I knew, Lucas was taking out my ear buds.

"Eliana, are you ready to go?"

"Yeah, sorry—I'm ready."

We walked to his truck.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, I think the early morning finally caught up with me."

On the drive to his house, I asked what had happened at lunch with Jack. Lucas explained the code of conduct that all the baseball players had to sign when they made the team. If Jack had hit Evan, he would have been kicked off the team. Lucas had reminded him that he'd lose his chance for a scholarship, and also that the team needed him. But the fact that Casey was upset had made him really stop and think. The reason Evan had stormed off was because the guys had threatened to vote to remove him if he didn't keep his distance."

Lucas looked at me and smiled. "You know, you're a breath of fresh air."

"Where did that come from?"

"It's just that you're so easy to talk to. I've never known anyone I could talk to without worrying about being judged." He reached for my hand.

I smiled, looking at our entwined fingers.

Before I knew it, we were at the stables. Time went by too fast when I was with Lucas. Being with him made everything else seem trivial; I didn't stress over things so much.