Chapter Twenty: Memorial Weekend

Mom's car was packed and the Oldies but Goodies were loaded in the CD player. I honked the horn to hurry her up. I had a date with a beach.

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" Mom yelled, running out the kitchen door.

"Let's get on the road!"

Mom put the cooler in the back seat and hopped in. As soon as we were out of the driveway, I turned up the music. Getting out of this town for the weekend was perfect for relaxing just before the talent show. As an added perk, a few days away from my grumpy grandmother would be nice.

Mom had reserved a room at an ocean front hotel in Coos Bay. I couldn't wait to bask in the sun. I was tan from working on my routine, but there were a few areas that could use extra exposure. Hence, the need for my itsy-bitsy-teenie-weenie-polka-dot bikini.

By the scenery, you never would have thought we were on our way to a beach. It looked more like a camping excursion with all the luscious pines. I paid close attention to the directions. I figured I could make a few trips this summer; maybe bring Lucas along.

When we got closer, we rolled the windows down to take in the breeze. It was brisker than I thought it would be, but it brought the salty air of the ocean with it. I was in my element.

"Mom, this was the best idea. I can't thank you enough." I reached over to squeeze her arm.

"I needed to get away just as bad as you, honey. So this trip is for both of us."

We checked into our hotel and changed before heading to the beach. The sun was shining and I couldn't wait to sink my feet in the sand.

"Mom, don't forget the cooler. I've got the beach towels."

"Okay, thanks for the reminder."

When we left the hotel, I quickly realized this wasn't the kind of beach I was accustomed to. I was used to thousands of umbrellas, volleyball nets, blaring music, laughter, kids and sandcastles, guys, and Frisbees. I was staring at nothing.

"Where is everyone? It's Memorial Weekend."

"I don't know. It's a nice day." Mom shrugged.

"I guess that just means more beach for us. Where do you want to sit?"

"Let's get closer to the water."

We laid out our beach towels and positioned the cooler between us. I took off my sling so I wouldn't have an awkward tan line on my shoulder.

"This is actually really nice. We'll have to remember this beach." I stretched out on my towel.

Mom was already on her stomach. She just nodded. I figured she was trying to take a nap.

We enjoyed the peace and quiet for a couple hours, flipping over like pancakes every fifteen or twenty minutes. The sun beat down and I soaked up every ray. I wanted to take the bandage off my arm, but I knew that wouldn't fly with my mom.

I flipped over on my back and noticed a few light clouds. Within minutes shivering winds moved in behind them. The sand became airborne.

I screeched when I got an eyeful of sand, "Are you freakin' kidding me?" Things only got worse when I started choking on a mouthful of sand.

The wind would stop soon—right? Wrong. The wind picked up and made the sand feel like little razors. The stinging was almost unbearable. I wanted to scream, but feared opening my mouth again. We rushed to gather our belongings before we had no skin left from the sandblast.

Mental Note: For the best exfoliation available, pain aside, come to the Oregon Coast.

We ran back to our room—two females in bikinis trying to outrun sand. Lucas must have been amused when he'd pictured me in my bikini on an Oregon beach.