Chapter Eleven: Something Serious

I kept my eyes on the dark figure while slowly easing toward the edge of the field. I wasn't sure if I'd been seen and didn't want to make any hasty movements. I knew that if I could get out of the meadow and into the woods, I might have a chance. I would run like there was no tomorrow.

The figure stepped beyond the tree line. "Lucas! What the heck are you doing here?" I screamed through the rain. "You scared the crap out of me!"

"Sorry. I've been looking for you."

"How did you know I would be here?" I demanded, still trying to calm my shaking body.

"I've seen you here a few times. Besides, your car is parked on the side of the road."

I didn't know if I was embarrassed, mad, or both. "I'm so confused."

"Casey saw everything with Evan." He shook his head. "She told me what happened. I wanted to make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine. I just need to get out of this town."

"Are you really fine?" he shouted through the downpour.

"Why does it matter to you? It's really not your problem."

"Well, you're my friend, and my friends are important to me." He walked closer. "I don't like to see you upset."

"Since I'm stuck here for a year, be prepared to see me upset. Just when I think things are getting better, they get worse." I turned my back on Lucas and jogged toward the forest.

"Don't let them get to you," he called, following close behind.

"Easy for you to say."

"I've dealt with them before and it's taken me awhile to learn to avoid them altogether. You don't know what it took for me to show up at Casey's house today."

I turned and stared at him, water pouring down my face and body. "What did it take for you to go to Casey's house?"

"The answer to that should be obvious." He looked at me and smiled.

I looked away. "I'm sorry. I thought I'd explained that I wasn't looking for anything serious—just friends."

"You keep saying that, but what if something serious finds you anyway?"

I turned and searched for my marked trees. "I don't want to get my heart broken or break someone else's."

"If you keep pushing people away, you're going to be very lonely," he snapped.

"It's better than being heartbroken," I lashed back.

He walked around me. "Follow me, I'll show you the way out."

Did he finally understand that a relationship was out of the question? "So, we can just be friends?" I called, following him.

"Yeah, friends," he grumbled.

We didn't speak again until we reached the road.

"Have a good night, Eliana." He crossed the road to his truck.

"You too." I stood next to my car, drenched.

He climbed into his truck and just sat there. I stood in the rain, starting to regret my remarks. When I opened my car door, Lucas started his engine. I realized he was waiting until I was safely in my car before pulling away.

On my way back to my grandparents' house, I wished I'd said something different. I'd been too hard on Lucas. I knew he wouldn't be the same around me. He'd picked the wrong night to have a conversation about feelings, especially after the fiasco at Casey's house.