Prologue

"Who's the best photographer and an even greater friend?" Lizzy asks through the phone. I swallow the rest of my sandwich, sighing, "I'm guessing, it's me?"
"Ding. Ding. Ding. So you could do it, please? It's my wedding, Danielle."
I groan as I sort the pictures. Some of these actually came out quite nicely.
"Eh. I don't do wedding photos, I could refer someone. As for being a bridesmaid, I'll be busy."
I can hear her pretending to cry and it kind of weakens my heart.
"Please, you're my only best friend."
"Okay okay. I'll catch a flight. Meet me at the airport Sunday morning."
I hang up quickly, I don't want to hear her squeal and shout. A wedding. I can't believe her and Luke are still together or maybe I don't want to believe it. I'm a dick, like that. I can only cheer for bad things. I sigh, printing the photos. Mark walks in my office, the biggest smile on his face.
"Coffee, my lady?" He says, his worse impression.
"No, I was just heading home. Could you put these photos in Hansens box?" I say. Mark is a real sweet guy and he's always trying nice things. I'm just not ready for nice things to happen to me. I mean, I don't need them to happen. It's been awhile. It should stay like that.
"Yeah. Sure. Night, sweetie. Be safe."
I give him a quick peck on the cheek, a thank you peck. I know, it's crappy. I'm crappier.