Chapter 16

The sun shines in through the hotel window, making my skin look radiant. I feel the opposite. I try to move and Zach grunts. His hand holds me, as if he's protecting me. I almost smile until last night slaps me, literally.
"Zach, get up."
He groans, peeping one eye at me, before sitting up.
"Shit! What time is it?!"
His yelling makes me jump and I move away from him.
"Only nine twenty-five?"
"I'm late for work!"
"Can't you take off, we need to talk?"
He rolls his eyes, kissing the side of my mouth.
"We will talk when I'm off, and I want you back in my condo before I'm off."
He is out the door before I can object. His words sound threatening. I could afford another night here but I'll need to head home soon, my home, not his. My phone vibrates on the nightstand. The number is unfamiliar to me but I answer.
"Daniella?"
My mother. I could recognize her voice anywhere. Even when I was trying to forget her, I could still hear her.
"M-mom?"
"You sound so grown."
I smile, it's been awhile. She's coughing as if smoke is in her lungs.
"Mom? You been smoking?"
"No, Davie. Its bad for us..worse for him. Photography, huh?"
"Yeah. I could come see you an-"
"N-no. Well Calvin has to get to school, I'll call you sometime."
"Bu-"
She hangs up before I can utter a word. Maybe Joe was right.
You should call him.