Chapter 7

I groan, listening to someone dig around my room. I crack my eye open to peak out and it's just Luke.
"Luke, get out." I groan.
"He's a drunk." Luke says, sitting on my bed. I sit up, squinting at him.
"Who?"
"My brother. You left and David just wouldn't let things go. He's a drunk. You smelled it on him."
I watch Luke fidget with his fingers. Joe is a drunk. That doesn't make any sense to me, he has self control.
"He can't be.."
"He is. He's my best man. He'll show up to my wedding tore up and ruin it for Liz."
"Admit him."
"He has to make that choice."
I rub my eyes, exhausted. I can't do anything if that's what's he's implying.
"Well uninvite him."
"The wedding is soon."
The sun shines brightly through the window and I groan. I'm not agreeing to this, I refuse.
"Look, I can't help-"
"You love him."
I throw the sheet on the floor. What the hell am I doing.
"Is he home?"
"My mother's house. Drive my car."
I roll my eyes, catching the keys. He knew I was going to say yes. I groan again, running a loose hand through my hair.
Mission impossible.

I sit in the car, engine still running. What am I supposed to say to him? Stop drinking? Support your brother? I run a hand through my hair, massaging out the kinks. My eyes close, involuntarily, as if they know I'm confused.
A soft tap at the window pulls me from my trance and grey eyes peer at me.
"What are you doing here?"
My mouth opens and closes like a fish out of water.
"What are you doing here?"
Real smart, Danielle. He smirks at me like I'm crazy.
"I live here. Your turn."
"Why'd you turn your phone off?"
I don't know why those words come out but they do. That isn't why I'm here, I'm here to pull this idiot from his addiction.
"Danielle, I called you and it said your number was no longer in service."
I shake my head so hard, it could fall off.
"No, I got that from your phone."
"Why are you here?"
"They say you're drinking yourself to death."
He laughs harshly, sweeping a hand through his hair.
"I'm enjoying myself."
"You would call it that."
I climb out the car, grabbing the keys.
"Why didn't you write?" He asks, walking to some unknown destination. When Luke gave me the destination to a house, I couldn't believe he moved. I wanted to relive some memories.
"I did. I wrote so many letters, I got none back. Ever. You started dating LAnaaaaa again and forgot about me. Forgot that I love you."
"Love?"
"Loved."
"David Picked up my mail when I moved and gave it to me until the address change was processed. I never got it."
We end up on a pond. The water darker than ever and I just want to cry.
"Joe!"
We turn at the same time and Lana stands on the porch in his t-shirt, the same one I would wear, with bed hair. He looks back at me and I try to smile but my cheekbones just don't work the same.
"Show up sober.."
I walk away before he can see the first tear.
"Bab-" He stops himself but I wish he wouldn't have. I wish he would stop me but he doesn't and everything turns blurry in front of my tears.