Chapter 24

My skin is raw. How much scrubbing could I do? I can't erase this man. It's been a week, I've missed so much work.
I'm hiding in Joe's guest room, the only safe haven. He didn't expect me to come here and I didn't expect him to accept me. I left him so many months ago, abandoned him. He should've abandoned you this time.
"Let me hold you." Joe says, his arms outstretched on the couch. I do. I've always wanted to hear him say that, I've missed him and didn't know it. Feelings don't just die, love doesn't just die. My body relaxes against him but I still feel so disgusted. Joe doesn't know why I'm here, thinks I'm just trying to stay around my mother. I don't know what to do anymore. I told Zach I was going to marry him and he's been cheating and lying. With Lana. How small can the world be? She gets every man that says he loves me. Not this one.
"What are you thinking about?" He whispers against my hair.
"Us. What happened to us?"
"Everything and nothing."
"But why?"
"Why not?"
He smashes his lips against mine, soft but hungry. My brain is on fire, my breathing is labored, I missed this.
"Can I make love to you?" His husky voice growls.
"Please."

The sun is shining and the birds are vibrant; that's when I decide to pack my bags. I quietly slide out of Joe'a tender hold and I'm out his door. I'm running again. Running from the only person that has ever loved me. I stare at his house, my heart breaking all over.
What am I doing?