Chapter 9

The dinner wasnt a complete disaster but I could feel those grey eyes on me all night. I think Lana noticed too because after desert, I heard them arguing in the backyard. Mark is on his way before I can ask him to leave, mentioning something about jetlag but I know otherwise. He expected me to be different and I just treated him worse. Honestly. That's becoming the only trait I'm good at: messing up. The bathroom door creaks open and in strolls the devil himself, Joe.
"Danielle, tell me why you're hiding." He says, letting the door lock. The air feels tight and I have to hold my breath for a minute.
"I'm not hiding but I'm pretty sure if we get caught in here alone.. they are going to think-"
"That we did something?"
"Y-yes. So go."
My mouth just isn't mine right now and the force in it is nonexistent. Asking him to go but begging him to stay. I'm a sucker.
"So he's your toy? To make me jealous or something."
I laugh, cocking my head to the side, "You really believe I'm trying to make you jealous?"
"You didn't even acknowledge the kid."
"I didn't acknowledge you either but you think I'm trying to make you jealous."
He pushes my back against the sink, holding my gaze. I decide against breathing right now. He's an alcoholic. He's just drunk. But I didn't see him drink tonight.
"You are-"
A knock on the door cuts off his sentence and I push him off.
"Joe, let me in baby." Lana says through the door.
"I'm coming out." He mutters, clearly annoyed.
"Get out before she picks the lock and comes in." I whisper-shout. He runs a thumb over my bottom lip, leaning in a little.
"Joe!" She whines.
I point to the door all while climbing in the tub, closing the shower curtain. He unlocks the door and opens it but instead of going out, he's shoved back inside and the door is locked again. This really can't be good.
"Baby, I just wanna show you something." She whines.
"Not here, let's go home."
I'm guessing she missed that cue because I can hear his pants hit the floor without a doubt.
My curiosity forces me to peak around the corner and she's mouth deep in Joe, his eyes rolled to the back of his head. I can feel my emotions being torn up all over again and the tears begin to flow. I need to get out of here.

Ten minutes pass and finally someone interrupts their session.
"Hey man, you okay?"
Luke. Please Luke, help me. Help me.
"Y-yeah. I'm coming out."
Lana groans, and I can hear them shuffle around.
"You go out and I'll follow." Joe says, clearly used to these types of things.
"Okay baby. I love you."
"Mhm. Go."
Sheesh, is someone scared to throw the L-word around because they never mean it.
The curtain is thrown back and I forget to wipe my tears. Joe looks concerned but he says nothing.
"I gotta go." I mutter, not wanting his filthy hands on me.
"Please...I couldn't get he-"
"Oh, you think I care about that. No no, she seems to please you greatly. Stay away from me."
I let the bathroom door slam and I close myself out from everyone.
I just can't win and it seems like he forgot about my feelings.
I have to move on..somehow.