Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A/N: Would anyone read them if I uploaded my two "phan-fictions" I have in my drafts right now?

Natsu's POV

Every fiber of my being told me what I was doing, being here right now, with him, it was all so wrong.

Natsu, get away now.

He's too good for you.

If he finds out, you'll put him in danger.

Leave, before it's too late!

I could feel myself wanting to pull away, to fly away like I always did and never look back.

I refused to let that happen, though.

I wanted to ignore the voices of my conscious, push their mute buttons and continue to kiss this cutie, but they kept persisting and prodding away at my brain. I wanted to do nothing but forget who I really was and melt into the kiss, but I knew I couldn't. My better sense of self-control kicked in and I broke the kiss off slowly, resting my forehead on Gray's.

When we pulled away, I could hear the sounds of his soft breathing. He was so close I could practically hear his heartbeat. It was pounding steadily, like a metronome. It felt like the only steady thing in my life.

"Gray," I whispered horsely, my voice raw.

He swallowed. "Yeah?"

"I..." I choked on my words, not wanting to say them. They felt like acid on my tongue as each syllable sizzled off my vocal cords. "I don't know if I can do this."

Gray pulled away, turning to face his backyard. "I understand."

"There are too many risks that come along the way," I continued in a soft voice, intently staring at his profile. His lips were crimson and his jaw was clenched.

"Why can't you just take the risk for once, then?" He whispered, sounding like he was on the verge of tears.

"I can't put you in danger, Gray..." I reached out to touch his shoulder. He flinched, but he didn't shake my hand off. He looked like he was listening, so I took it as a sign to continue. "The life I live... It's not exactly what you might think it is. It's dangerous."

"Am I not worth being let into your life?" Gray choked on his words, a clear lump in his throat.

"Do not say that, because it's not true!" I cried out, keeping my voice soft. "You are absolutely worth it. But that's the exact reason why I can't put you through this. You're too good for me, too good for this evil, dark world. I just can't see someone like you deal with what I deal with on a regular basis."

"How do you know that I can't handle it?" Gray questioned exasperatedly. "We haven't even known each other for that long. Hell, I don't even know what your real name is, and I just made out with you!"

I felt my face grow hot at that last bit, and I shifted in my spot. "It's better off if you don't know. Keeping you in the dark is what keeps you safe. Please trust me on this," I begged, grabbing his other shoulder and pulling him to look at me. "Please."

Gray looked skeptical, but he agreed. "Alright." He nodded after a moment's thought. "Alright. I trust you."

My face lit up with a smile, and I placed a soft kiss on his lips. "But this - us - it doesn't end," He whispered against my mouth, and I felt the hot air of his breath against my skin. Shivering, I nodded imperceptibly.