Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Natsu's POV

There's a fire burning inside me,

Cold steel calls out my name,

Tempted to give in to the rage.

Torn apart by this affliction,

Locked up inside myself,

This life is much too young to fade...

- End of Me; Ashes Remain

What happened next was unfortunately not under my control.

It was, however, completely and utterly my fault.

"This is outstanding!" A scientist declared excitedly. "None of us predicted Thirteen would be able to do this!"

Their words of encouragement were like gasoline to the fire that burned inside of me. My fists clenched, my nails digging into my skin so sharply it could've drawn blood and I wouldn't have noticed. The rage shot through my body like lethal poison, screeching, demanding, begging for release. It was like a volcanic eruption that proceeded to sweep me off my feet and wash away all morality and consciousness I had.

"Internal body temperature reaching almost 3500," One scientist explained, checking the computers that were hooked up to motion sensors attached my body to read all my vitals. I stared at the wires and cords twirled around my arms. In one swoop, I yanked them all out of my skin.

The connection between me and the scientists was broken, and I stomped on the cords to damage them. The earpiece I was required to wear during testing sputtered, on it's last leg of life before cracking into a lulling silence.

I had only one thought in my head as I moved towards the exit door.

I have to find Gray and get him out of here.

The door, unlike the thick slab of metal, had a doorknob on it. I twisted it and yanked the door open, revealing a plain white hallway that matched the rest of the dreary laboratory. I moved purely on instinct, like that of a predator searching for prey. I saw in red, anger seething through me.

Alarms blared throughout the intercom system of the Lab. I ignored them. Snapping my wings out behind me, I took off in a run, looking for the stairs. When I found them at the end of the hall, I didn't bother running down them; instead I hurled myself over the railings and dropped the two stories between the staircases, landing in a crouch on the floor.

I pushed off the floor with my hands, flapping my wings to propel me forward. I coasted through the ground floor, moving towards one of the testing rooms. When I entered, I saw freakish experiments that made me want to throw up. Mutated, misshapen anthropomorphs looked at me with pairs of wide eyes (some having more or less), and they started to cry, to get me to let them out.

I couldn't feel remorse for them, no, not in that moment. I tore through the corridor, busting down the other door on the end to find a scientist working in their private office.

"Thirteen!" She shouted. She reached for her telephone, to warn the rest, but I karate-chopped her hand before she could press any buttons. She grabbed her hand, crying out in pain, and i threw the telephone against the wall, allowing it to break into pieces.

"Where is Gray?" I reached across her cluttered desk and grabbed her by her collar, pulling her to look at me eye-to-eye. I saw the fear in her eyes. She couldn't have been more than twenty-five. Probably just settling down and starting a family.