Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

★ Gray's POV ★

A/N: Working on planning out all the chapters, so hopefully I'll be having more updates for you guys. I'm focusing on this story for now, then my phan/makoharu stories. You should go check them out on my profile!! :D Enjoy!!

Natsu was late.

Cold autumn air blew through my hair and nipped at my skin, giving me goosebumps. I rubbed my arms, hoping to bring back some warmth to them, and quickly pulled down my sweater sleeves. I sighed, impatient. I was waiting right outside the main entrance, which was the planned meeting place after school ended. Pulling out my phone and checking the time, I frowned when I saw I had been waiting for over ten minutes now.

I began to worry. He wasn't standing me up... Right?

"Where are you, Natsu?" I hissed to myself under my breath, opening his contact to send a message to him. Hurry up, it's cold, I typed out. Just as I was about to hit send, Natsu came rushing out of the doors, looking frazzled. He zipped up his jacket when he felt the frigid air and slung his backpack around his shoulder properly.

"Where were-" I began before stopping myself. It was probably best not to ask.

"Sorry," Natsu smiled sheepishly. "Alright, lead the way."

We crossed through the student parking lot quickly, careful to avoid any inexperienced student drivers backing out. Those kids were wild when it comes to cars. It was unnerving. "Are we driving?" Natsu asked from beside me.

"I don't own a car," I mumbled.

"That actually works out," Natsu smiled to himself. "Considering I get really carsick." Based on the apologetic look on his face, it made me wonder if he was being truthful or not. Still, it was kind of him to try to make me feel better.

We left school campus and took off towards my house. The old sidewalks were covered in leaves from the late autumn season change, making crunching sounds under my Converse as I walked. Hesitant to break the comfortable silence between us, I was tentative when I spoke up. "So..." I drew out. "How's Magnolia High life going for you?"

Natsu immediately puffed his cheeks out as he frowned from the mention of school. "It's strange. People are giving me weird looks, and acting like I'm invisible when I look back. It's like they can't help but whisper and stare."

"It's because they have nothing better to do," I offered as a form of condolence. "Their own lives are too meaningless and uninteresting, they focus on other people's business."

Natsu turned to look at me with a warm smile on his face. "Maybe you're right. Thanks, Gray. It's really nice to have a friend like you- wait, I'm sorry, a-are we friends? I-I didn't mean to say-"

"Hey, chill out," I chuckled. "Of course we're friends." When I said it, Natsu exhaled in relief.

We spent the rest of the walk home talking about our days. I was surprised to find out Natsu was in no Advanced Placement classes, but he explained that where he lived they didn't have AP so he didn't know about signing up for them. I laughed and told him he was lucky, considering I was in two and they were both terrible. As if on instinct, I rubbed my shoulders, which usually became sore after hours of studying at my desk.

Apparently, Natsu's favorite subject was English, and when I asked him to explain why, he said it was because the literature was like nothing he's ever read before. It offered infinite perspectives on things like human nature, true love, and mortality. As he chattered on about books, I admired his passion for literature.