THREE

Sunday morning brings heavy rains and threats of flooding. I can hear the downpour as I move around the house preparing for church. It's days like this that makes me grateful for a garage. I grab my umbrella and head toward the door. As usual just as I am on the other side of the door my landline rings. I don't stop and go back. Momma always calls to make sure I am going to church. I never miss a Sunday but that doesn't stop her from calling.

It had been three years since I joined Fellowship Church, one church in many locations, and I have finally started "serving". I work with the children 6th grade to 12th grade or better known as The Mix. I am also a greeter which is why I always obsess over my outfit. I like to put my best fashion foot forward.

Three hours later I am leaving service. I worked the ten o'clock service and attended the eleven-thirty service. As usual when I leave I head right over to Momma's house for Sunday dinner. The entire family comes together after church. We cook together while laughing and reminiscing.

As soon as I am through the door the feeling of being home envelops me. I take a deep breath in, whatever is cooking causes my stomach to rumble. I tell you its nothing like coming home to your mom's house especially when she is "throwing down".

I step fully into the house and close the door. "Jennifer, is that you baby?" I hear my mom's voice yell out.

"Yes ma'am," I answer back placing my discarded coat on the coat rack.

"Well get on in here and help with the cookin."

"Yes ma'am," again I answer. Growing up I learned fast that when Momma addresses you, you answer right away. My older brother Brendan and younger sister Jessica didn't seem to grasp that concept.

I hang my jacket on the coat rack and move toward the kitchen. I stick my head into the living room to see some of my family members watching the Seahawks playing the Niners. "Who's winning?" They all look up at the sound of my voice but only one person speaks.

"Jenn, good to see you. How's my favorite niece?" I smile brightly at my Uncle Jon. He has always been the father figure in my life.

"I'm pretty good, Unc. How bout yourself?" I ask stepping into his embrace.

He pulls back to look me in the face. "I cant complain. Not that it will do me any good," came his usual reply.

"I know that's right. Let me get to this kitchen before Momma comes looking for me." We both make a horrified face then laugh. I squeeze him one more time then let go to move further through the house.

Stepping into the kitchen, I notice that Gretchen is here. Although, I wasn't looking I didn't see my brother. I roll my eyes and keep my mouth shut. "Hi Momma," I step up to her with open arms. I can see the disapproving look on her face already. It is no secret how I feel about Gretchen, Brendan's wife. I had basically grown up with that witch. She was suppose to be my friend. Her actions proved otherwise. Going through me to get to him.

I release Momma and look around the kitchen immediately taking notice that my spoiled little sister isn't here. "Where's Jess?" I ask looking right at my mother. At her confused look I can tell she lied again. "I don't know what she said this time but I haven't seen her." Momma threw up her hands and turned back to the stove without another word. That was my cue to leave it alone.

I turn to the rest of the family standing in the kitchen. Hugging most everyone was I go. When I get to my cousin Toby I linger. He has always been the only male to want to help with cooking. At sixteen, he is more mature for his age. He has a plan set out for life and having a wife is apart of it. Uncle Jon told him early on that cooking for a woman is great way to bond. After the greetings I start pitching in with dinner.