FIVE

CURTIS

I had flown into Dallas yesterday to meet up with Em. As soon as we clicked up he took my cell phone, laptop and Ipad. According to him, he was staging an intervention. He had enough of my stalking ways and it had to stop. I would get to Jennifer when I got to her. I had to accept that because I know he's right. I have been acting completely out of character and it had to stop. Luckily, my brother has my back.

I look down at the street below. Em booked us at the W Hotel right in Downtown. He was in the middle of a phone call with some guy named Andrew. I was so bored at this point I was trying to hear the person's voice on the other end. Which I can't of course but that is just how bored I am. Life without technology is hard sometimes. Especially, when you have it at your disposal so easily. So far, I know he has an appointment in a few days with someone named Mrs. M. Whoever that is.

"Yo, Fif!" I spin around hearing Em shouting at me.

"Man, what are you yelling for?"

"I called you like ten times man. Get your head out of the JAM, man. Damn. This girl really got your nose wide open man. Get a grip."

I was shaking my head before he could finish. "First what is JAM? Second, I'm bored and I wasn't thinking about her. Just looking at the world below."

He flashes that annoying ass smirk, "oh my bad. JAM is that girls initials. You know J...A...M." I nod in understanding.

Then I try to change the subject. "So what are we doing in Dallas any way?"

Em jumps into a explanation of what he's doing in Texas. Apparently, Andrew is some dude he use to know back in the D. He was helping him out with a fundraiser type thing for a community center he built. It is going to be a silent auction. They plan to invite a bunch of people to the community center for a gala type thing but not that fancy. Em and DOC, because this is Dallas, are up for bid as a studio session with unknown artists. Apparently Andrew decided to name it Straight Outta the D. Kind of corny but I guess it's affective.

"Alright, so what's up for today?" I ask getting this day started because the boredom is real.

"Dre called. He has some stuff he needs me to listen to. So to the studio." Em shrugs then stands heading to the door with me following after.

That is how the next few days went for us. Spending it in the studio and sleeping. Em would not let up on my tech restriction either. He apparently called my assistant letting her know to notify everyone that I was off the grid for the next week or two.

Finally the day for meeting Mrs. M was upon us. The driver Em hired pulls up to the front entrance where an average height woman stood with her hands locked in front of her and a warm smile. I can see that southern hospitality showing through already and something that seems familiar to me as well. Though I can not put a finger on it exactly. I don't know many southern girls but this woman is no doubt a southern-bell.

As soon as we are out of the car she greets us. "Hi there. You must be Marshall and Curtis. Andrew called me and said to expect you," she held her hand out towards us. "It is such a pleasure to meet ya'll. I'm Mrs. M the Supervising Coordinator here at For the Future Community Center." Em shakes her hand then I do when she turns to me. I scrutinize her features but still nothing comes to mind. Why do I feel I have seen this woman or met her.

"Nice to meet you too, Mrs. M." I say as we release each others hands. Her smile widens further showing all of her pearly white teeth.

"Follow me. I will give y'all a tour of the center." She motions with her hand for us to follow. I let the familiar feeling fall to the back of my mind as we follow her into the building.