TWELVE

That two weeks' vacation was everything I could have imagined. I hate leaving Tianna in a different state but it could not be helped. I have never missed a New Years with my momma and I don't intend to start now. Maybe that's why none of my relationships work out. I have a hard time with change. I just feel that any man that truly loves me will understand. Is that even realistic?

"Momma are you home?" I'm met with silence which makes me frown. I sniff the air to smell only a stale air. Where is everyone? "Is anyone one here!?" I yell still standing in the doorway with one hand on the doorknob and the other holding my purse.

I check my watch and see that it is nearing three o'clock. No one was expecting me to come home early but they should all still be here. It is the eve of New Year's Eve. Momma always makes a huge deal about bringing in the New Year. She cooks like it's Thanksgiving dinner. It was just the way she was raised. We always had to have Black Eyed Peas to eat, for good luck throughout the year. I hate them so much but I give in just once a year for my Momma.

So to not smell anything cooking is confusing. I pull out my cellphone and call my Mom's to see where she has run off to. Perhaps she gave into Uncle John's wishes and let New Year's be at his house. His house is slightly bigger than Momma's and he has been begging for years for her to let him host the party. Strange enough her phone goes to voicemail without even one ring so I know something has to be up. So I press my speed dial 5 and wait for the call to connect.

"Baby Girl, I'm surprised you remembered me. You haven't called me since you let for vacation. I thought we were better than that." If it wasn't for the humorous tone in his voice I would have thought, he was serious.

"I'm sorry Uncle John. I talked to Mom and asked about you all the time, I promise."

"Yeah, yeah. You'd tell me anything. Anyway, to what do I owe the pleasure of your call all the way from New York City?"

"Well actually I'm home and I'm at Momma's house but no one's here. Did the party get moved to your house?" There is more than just a beat of silence. I could feel the dread come over my body. The only other time my Uncle John was speechless was when my cousin, his son, Cole had died in a car accident.

"Baby Girl..." He trails off seemingly not know what to say next. "Hold just a second, let me call your Mom on three-way." He doesn't wait for me to respond.

The next thing I hear is a phone ringing then my Mother's tired voice comes onto the line. "Hey, brother. How's it going?"

"Momma?" My heart started to beat fast from hearing her sound so weak. My legs move forward so I can take a much-needed seat on the stairs.

"Mary, Jennifer came home for New Years. She's at your house. I think it's about time you talk. I'm headed to your house and then I will bring her to you."

Momma croaks out an okay then the phone hangs up and I'm sitting in my Momma's house waiting for my Uncle. The horror that flows through my mind cause panic to set in and open up shop. By the time my Uncle arrives I'm still on the stairs with my head between my legs. I feel his arm come around me as he helps me to stand. He whispers a few comforting words in my ear as we make our way to his Cadillac. Once I'm seated in the passenger seat, Toby sets my purse in my lap.

In no time we have pulled up to Parkland Hospital. The very same hospital that I was born in as well as my sister and brother. "Uncle John, what's wrong with my Momma?" I can only get out a whisper.

"I think it would be better if you hear it from her." I nod my head seeing my brother coming toward the car from the entrance. I got out of the car and met him half way. I don't know what my face looked like but whatever the expression my brother rushed to hug me.