Chapter Thirteen

~ Eva Austin ~

I ran as fast as my legs could take me. It was a long distance to the hospital though this was a rather small town. I ran faster, my unspilt tears bluring my vision and burning the rim of my eyes as a memory flashed back in my mind.

* * * * *

I was just a seven years old girl crying when the ambulance took my mommy to the hospital. My dad beat her and left. I still remember very well the terror and fear in Angelica's eyes as she called the ambulance to rescue my mom.

They came soon but didn't take me with them, just mom. Angel and I stayed home. I held my teddybear close to my chest and tugged the hem of Angel's sweater, begging her to leave and go to mom, since I was aware my father might hurt us if mom wasn't around.

"Angel please. I want mommy." I said pleading that she would listen. "Evangeline, we can't. It's raining and the hospital's far away." Angel tried to reason with me but the horror from my father was taking over me and all I want is my mother.

Tears of tremor streamed down my face and Angel crouched down hugging me but yet she didn't give me the serenity mom does. I unwrapped myself from Angel's arms and opened the door running out to where my mom was.

"Evangeline, come back, now." I heard Angelica calling after me. I didn't listen. I ran faster under the merciless rain, in the freezing air, my small pink dress getting wet. I was still holding my teddybear to my chest as I ran closing my eyes, not knowing where to go.

I let out a loud shriek when I feel two arms wrap around my small fragile body, "Shh, it's okay." Angelica tried soothing me, brushing my damp her with her fingers. I started sobbing into Angelica's chest as she held me back home.

Dad came back asking for mom but non of us girls dared speaking. He adressed Angel because she's the older sister, "Where is she Angelica ?" He asked, his tone rough and angry. "A-at the ho-h..." She stuttered.

"Speak." He shouted at her making me cry and her jerk back in fear. "At the h-ho..." The horror overwhelming Angel made her words stuck in her throat and when she didn't speak, dad slapped her causing her to fall to the floor.

I took tiny steps backwards when he looked at me with his monsterous green eyes, "Evangeline..." He smiled at me but his smile wasn't right. It was rather scary, "Where's mommy ?" He asked me and held my teddybear tighter, seeking protection from a stuffed lifeless teddybear.

"I don't know." I said. I was afraid of him but I didn't stutter. "Don't lie to daddy, Evangeline. Where is she ?" He wickedly whispered. "You're not my daddy. My daddy loves us. You hate us. You are not my daddy." Is all my small weak voice came out with. He grabbed my shoulders tightly making me wince in pain, "I am your daddy, Evangeline. Now, where is Hayley ?" He bawled at me. I sobbed from the horror and fear, he pushed me backwards, as I tripped over nothing and landed on my butt, "Good for nothing child. Go to bed, now." He ordered me roughly. I picked myself up and walked to my bedroom. I put my teddybear down on the floor and lay on my bed crying myself to sleep, and trying to block the sounds of dad hitting Angel and demanding her to tell him where's mom.

The next morning I woke up, feeling that someone was tenderly caressing my hair. I opened my eyes and saw mom smiling down at me, her cheek bruised and she had a black eye. I was happy she was back and I snuggled more into her and sobbed again sleeping between her arms, " I'm here now my little angel." Her soft voice made a feeling of content wash over me.

* * * * *

Eva stopped at the hospital's entrance, leaning against the door frame trying to catch her breath. It was spring but she looked up at the sky as it rumbled with thunder. The clear white/grey clouds disappearing and being replaced with almost black ones.