Chapter Nineteen

"Missed me ?" Ethan nudged Eva playfully with his right elbow in her arm and winked at her. Rolling her eyes, she smiled at him a lopsided smile. "So you've finally made it, didn't you, Knight ?" She smirked at him ignoring his question.

"Yes I did. I would never miss out a field trip with you, Austin." He also smirked at her. Eva raised her eyebrows at him and gave him a bored look. "Yeah, that's good." She commented. "Awesome actually."

Eva rolled her eyes again and walked away from Ethan to get on the bus. Joe has told Ethan about the field trip since the teacher didn't want any absence although she can make Ethan's situation an exception.

Luckily, Ethan got out of the hospital Monday night and here he is on this trip.

The wierd feeling in Eva's stomach was still there and as she thought of it overnight that bubbly feeling increased.

Last night, Eva walked to her drawer and pulled out the doll Emily gave her and inspected it. She fiddled with it and furrowed her eyebrows thinking of what might happen the next day in the trip. She had a bad feeling yet another one that made her heart flutter with joy. It was the first time Eva was getting a mixed feeling of bliss and grief at the same time and this what made her stay awake most of the time just thinking about it.

Eva sat at the very end of the bus. She glanced beside her to find out who slumped beside her on the bus seat to see it is Cody. "Hey." He smiled at her. She smiled at him, too, and looked out the window.

"Emily wants you to be at her birthday." Eva turned around to look at Cody and smiled at the mention of Emily's name. "When ?" She asked.

"This Friday. Can you come, please ?"

"Yeah sure." Eva has work at the diner but for Emily she would do anything. She would have to work a double time at the diner on another day if she wants to take it free on Friday.

"That's great. Emily will be so happy." Cody smiled at her. Eva smiled back and looked out the window again as the rest of the ride was silent.

At the first hospital, Eva gave a couple of roses and balloons to a couple of children and watched others work with enthusiam glittering in their eyes in the time others went roaming the hospital either not interested or just bored.

The ride to the second hospital was also silent as Eva just watched the trees pass by and go in a blur and the sky turn from a bleach blue/grey color to a light baby blue color and the sun lingering in the sky.

Eva entered the second hospital with a white rose in her hand and a blue and white balloon in the other.

As she passed rooms with the rest of her classmates, only one boy in one particular room captivated her and took all her attention.

She walked in as he looked up from the ipod he was playing with. She inspected him carefully. The blonde hair on his head were like threads of gold and his electric green eyes were so mesmerizing and they can belong to only one person.

Her heart swelled up in her chest as she approached him and smiled ever so gentley at him. "Hello." He smiled an exhilarating smile at Eva. She tied the balloon the the table's leg beside his bed and sat beside him.

"What's your name, buddy ?" She asked him in a friendly manner. "Drake." He smiled again.

Eva's heart dropped because that's not her brother's name. But she hid her dismay, "So how old are you ?"

"Four... By the way you are so beautiful..." Her face lit up at his compliment but that's not what got her off guard but the next comment he said was the one that did, "... You remind me of my sister."