Chapter Nine: Scarlett

As Cass drove the car away from Rory's house I wanted to scream. The stupid boy would never stop making the same dumb mistakes. Cass looked over and started to try and calm me down.

            "Scarlett, hun, Riley is a stupid boy and you knew he wouldn't listen to you anyway. He will figure it out eventually. I know how much Alex means to you and I know that you want to kill Riley right now, but hun just think about it like this," He said as he reached his hand out to rest on my thigh again.

            "He doesn't know anything about anything, and it's his decision whether to listen to you or not. As much as you would like to make the decision for him you can't, so it's no use dwelling on it. Plus you could totally kick his butt." I took another deep breath reaching toward the radio- I needed music to calm me or I would make Cass turn around.

            After turning it on, the song 'If I'm James Dean, You're Audrey Hepburn' by Sleeping with Sirens came on. It was our song, the song that meant everything to me. The song that if Cass and I broke up would make me shatter into a million pieces never to be picked up again. Cass started singing along censoring out the words for my benefit

            "How the heck did you ever pick me?
            Honestly, I could sing you a song
            But I don't think words can express your beauty
            It's singing to me
            How the heck did we end up like this?
            You bring out the beast in me,

I fell in love from the moment we kissed
Since then we've been history...

They say that love is forever
Your forever is all that I need
Please stay as long as you need
Can't promise that things won't be broken
But I swear that I will never leave
Please stay forever with me"

            The moment was more perfect than anything, in that moment I knew we were meant to be, that if all the stars in the universe aligned properly that we would end up together. I would wake up next to Cass- the love of my life- and I would make waffles and he would beg me to stay in bed all day with him and we would call in sick for work just so we could spend the day together cuddling. But every perfect moment has to end sometime and ours ended. My phone interrupted us with a text vibration from Rory fracking Tayse. Here I am imagining my life and listening to the most perfect song and he ruins the whole thing.

            My phone started going off in Cass' suit pocket. As the song ended I reached inside. It was Rory. I swear all he does is make people upset. As I read the text I saw something I hadn't seen in a while. He admitted I was right. What was happening? Rory never acted like this. He usually shuts people out and never lets them help him. I'd tried to help him so many times in the past and he would kind of get mad at me for it. But this time, he is sitting and actually considering I could be right. I hadn't realized I'd been so tense, I sent Rory an invite to watch a movie with us, then relaxed my body.  I handed my phone to Cass and he sent a text. I saw that he had uninvited Rory to come watch a movie with us, I laughed.

            "Why did you uninvite him?"

            "Uh I have hardly kissed you all day which is unacceptable, considering you deserve to be kissed all the time, and well we don't need Riley's drama."

            "True, and if he heard you call him that he would punch you." I reminded him. Cass slowed the car at a red light.

            "He's not here though now is he?" He leaned over kissing me quickly before the light turned green.

            A new song came on that I didn't like so I picked up my phone to change it, choosing 'Favorite Record' by Fall Out Boy. Cass got mad.