Chapter 14: Rory

I got the call just like everyone else.

"Rory. Meet us at Christians house as fast as humanly possible. Something is wrong and I don't know what." Scarlett had said.

The sound of her voice had freaked me out so I hopped in my truck and raced over to Christian's house there were police all over and paramedics racing about. I ran inside to see what had happened when I saw Mercedes sobbing into Blaze's shoulder. Likewise, most everyone around me was either crying or staying strong for their significant other. Alex was standing next to Scarlett sobbing while Cass knelt crying at her feet.

"Contain yourselves you aren't the only people that are missing him." One of the nurses hissed at them. Scarlett who had been staying strong for the people clinging to her let a tear slip down her cheek.

"Guys what happened?" I whispered approaching them cautiously.

"It's Christian." Cassius's voice cracked

"He- he's dead." Scarlett whispered. At her words Alex let out a stifled sob. I couldn't stand to see her this sad... It was heart wrenching. I pulled her into my chest and held her there. I cleared my throat to speak.

"What happened to him?" I asked.

"He couldn't handle the stress of living anymore apparently and committed suicide early this morning." Scarlett provided the answer.

"Who found him?"

"His older brother Greg."

"How'd he do it?"

"He uh stabbed himself in the chest multiple times before finally bleeding out."

"I only met him two days ago but he seemed like a stand up guy."

"He was for the most part I mean he had his moments."

"Well who doesn't have their moments?"

"That's a good point."

Blaze had begun to lead Mercedes this way even though she was too distraught to even speak. The nurse from before had approached us and was trying to figure out what had happened.

"Did Christian show any signs of depression, or any signs that he may have been thinking about suicide?"

"Well he had been getting distant with Mercedes" Scarlett pointed to her.

"They had been dating for a month or two and the last... what was it? Two weeks? He had been showing that he was no longer really interested." Mern nodded.

"Did he say anything to you about it?"

"N- no" her voice cracked.

"Tell me more." Mercedes took a deep breath before saying,

"Well he had been mostly distant although Thursday of this week was better than most and he seemed almost normal... Then we went to the Homecoming game and he was back to acting distant and at the dance he was flirting with like six different girls so I just assumed that he was done with me and that was why he was being distant."

"Did you or anyone around you do anything to cause a drastic change in his life?"

"Well I broke up with him at the dance because he had been acting so weird."

"Did he say anything to you that sounded off?"

"No... well wait a minute he did say something like 'If you break up with me I will kill myself' but I didn't think anything of it he said stuff like that all the time and he was kidding! Did I cause his death!?"

"No honey you didn't" Scar patted her shoulder.

"Actually she very well could have." Mercedes eyes welled with tears again.

"WHAT KIND OF A NURSE ARE YOU HUH? YOU JUST COME IN HERE AND DECIDE THAT ALL THESE PEOPLE WHO JUST LOST A DEAR FRIEND SHOULDN'T BE GIVEN A SPECK OF A MORNING PERIOD THEY SHOULDN'T EVEN CARE THAT HE IS GONE AND JUST MOVE ON WITH THEIR LIVES. HE WAS LIKE A BROTHER TO ME AND NOW HE IS GONE. GONE! AND YOU TELL HIS EX GIRLFRIEND WHO PROBABLY STILL HAS FEELINGS FOR HIM THAT THE REASON HE IS DEAD IS BECAUSE OF HER!? NO HE IS DEAD BECAUSE HE WAS AN IDIOT AND DECIDED TO TAKE HIS OWN LIFE. WE ALL LOVE HIM AND MISS HIM AND WISH SO VERY BADLY THAT HE HADN'T BUT HE DID AND WE DO HAVE TO MOVE ON BUT YOU CAN'T EVEN GIVE US SOME TIME TO GRIEVE. WHO THE H-"

"Scar let's go." Cassius started to pull her away.

"NO NO CASS I AM GIVING THIS WOMAN A PIECE OF MY MIND." He continued to haul her out.

"YOU YOU IGNORANT PIECEShe has a point." Blaze whispered. The nurse walked away angrily.

I hadn't realized I was still holding Alex in my arms. I looked down to see her clinging to me as if I provided some source of strength and comfort for her just by standing here.

"I need to get out of here." Mercedes walked out the door Blaze at her heels.

I stood on my tiptoes to see over the brown leather couch. Stained onto the brown carpet was a large spatter of crimson. I swallowed as to not throw up right then and there.

"Rory?"

"Yes?"

"How did you even know to come?"

"Scarlett called and said something was up and so I came to help with whatever it was which was apparently helping you feel better."

"He hated me in the end..."

"I'm sure he didn't."

"But he did."

"Alexandria, he didn't hate you."

"You can't possibly know that."

"Yeah, he actually had a crush on you but was either tied down or too shy to say something."

"No. Not possible."

"I saw the way he one looked at you and two the way he looked at me when I took you to homecoming."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Let's go. It does no good for us to stay here wishing he was still here with us."

"I just can't believe he's gone just like that."

"Makes you realize how fragile life is and how we can't just take it for granted doesn't it." I kept my arm around her as we walked outside not wanting to let her go.

I scanned the front yard for Scarlett and Cassius. They were sitting in her black car together, probably talking about how she needs to fix the way she expresses her sadness, she doesn't ever cry she just rants and rages about whatever is making her sad probably to ease the pain. Which is extremely unhealthy, if I was Cassius I would be telling her just that- she needs to cry and let it out not scream and let it out.

"Ugh not more kissing." A boy said from behind me.

"Oh sorry," he said, "Scarlett and Cass just kiss a lot."

"Ian!! You came!" Alex untangled herself from me and gave the black haired boy a hug.

"Of course I came, I had to. Who's your friend?"

"This is Rory. Rory this is friend Ian. Ian Goldberg." He looked me up and down as if checking me out almost.

"Hi." I said uncomfortably.

"Well it was nice to meet you Rory. I must be off physics homework. Nice to see you Alexa don't make stupid choices." His voice sounded slightly higher than normal.

"Bye Ian see you tomorrow."

"Well Rory thank you for coming tonight. I best be off too." She winked at me. I took one last glance at Scarlett's car to make sure they weren't doing anything bad. Cassius must have said something funny because Scarlett laughed and turned on the car. I took another last look at Christians house, it was a weird feeling knowing that he would never again drive up this driveway, knowing he would never kiss anyone else, and knowing that I would never again speak to him ever again...

AP7"