05 | black and bitter

— ☆ —

"So...would anyone like to explain what just happened?"

"Saem, it's not as bad as-"

"Anyone besides Soonyoung-ah?"

Sandwiched in the middle of the teacher and Hoshi, I could only shrink in my seat as all eyes turned to me.

Keeping my eyes forward, I looked up at the other person in the room: Seokmin. He kept his hands folded nicely in his lap and a trained smile on his face. But as soon as his gaze caught mine, the smile fell and so did his gaze. Turning now to Hoshi, I narrowed my eyes in annoyance. He gave me an equally as annoyed stare and heaved a sigh as if this whole thing was an inconvenience for him. I should've just listened to Principal Cho's warning. This guy, Kwon Soonyoung, Hoshi, whatever he wanted to be called, was dangerous.

He got Seokmin, the most precious cinnamon roll in the world, to hit him. And not only did Seokmin hit him, he freaking socked him in the jaw. Just that alone was enough to make me wary of the guy. I shook my head subconsciously, causing the teacher to sigh in frustration. He raked a hand through his hair, muttering to himself. I took this chance to steal another look at Hoshi.

What? He mouthed. I scowled at him, shaking my head again. Hoshi smirked and winked. That little ass winked at me.

"Yah kids, is now really the time to be flirting?"

Flirting?

The teacher sighed again, turning to look at Hoshi and me. "I can understand why Soonyoung is sitting here, but Eunji? Your name was only just added to my roster today." He looked in between the two of us, obvious disappointment on his face. "If you two are going to date, then at least do it outside of school. You're lucky it was me who found you and not Principal Cho. Especially you, Soonyoung. Immoral behavior is one thing, but fighting in the halls? That would result in an automatic suspension!" I winced as he raised his voice. Seokmin winced too while Hoshi...he just rolled his eyes.

"I really don't see what I did wrong."

The teacher closed his eyes at Hoshi's response. "Soonyoung, I understand that you don't particularly like the Principal or the rules but-"

"But what? Are you saying that it's fair for us to be punished for a stupid kiss? If so, then you're just as bad as the Principal, Mr. Yoon." Hoshi retorted.

Mr. Yoon opened his mouth to respond, but Hoshi wouldn't let him.

"I really don't understand. Why would you adults say you're on our side when there's obvious prejudice going on. Whether it be outside of school or inside, everything is the same. Those with power - those like Chwe Hansol - are almost like gods. Then there are people with less power who are stuck dealing with the shit they cause. So don't try to bullshit me with the whole 'everything is equal' act, Mr. Yoon. I'm already painfully aware of how unforgiving the real world is. It's a never ending cycle that, frankly, I'm just sick and tired of."

"I'm saddened to hear you say that, Soonyoung."

A dry, humorless laugh left Hoshi's lips as he took in the sight of our Principal standing in the doorway. A shiver traveled down my spine as she crossed her arms over her chest and stared at Hoshi with hard eyes.

"If you had so much to say about the way I run my school, you could've just stopped by my office instead of bothering Mr. Yoon."