19 | one last wish

— ☆ —

A hush fell over the crowd of people clustered around the gate. I thought I had imagined it at first. I thought I had finally cracked after being put under all this emotional stress. That would explain the clammy hands and the rushed heartbeat hearing my name shouted out over a hundred people caused. I sincerely thought that I had gone insane. Those were my initial thoughts. But then I heard it again. And it was louder, more clear.

"Eunji!"

The sound bounced off of the walls and off the ceiling and then it echoed back into my ears where it rocked me to the very core. The air had stilled. Conversations stopped as eyes turned. I felt an involuntary blush creeping up my neck. Despite what Wonwoo had said about never looking back, I couldn't stop myself from turning towards him.

However, I nearly fell to my knees in tears when I saw not only Hansol but Jihoon as well standing in the midst of the crowded seating area. The two of them were searching the area, their eyes hopeful. It made my heart wrench knowing that they were searching for me.

Hansol was the first to spot me. His eyes widened and immediately he began trying to shove his way past the crowds of people swarming towards him. Wonwoo reached out to stop him but Hansol blazed on right past him. He was a force to be reckoned with but on top of that he was practically a celebrity, both him and Jihoon. I didn't belong with him and I sure as hell would never be accepted in their closely knit circle. But besides that, I just didn't know if I even wanted to be with him or even by his side. That thought stuck to my mind like glue and I chanted it like a mantra as Hansol grew closer and closer. When he was so close I could practically smell his very being, the thought was so deeply engraved in my mind I was able to keep my tears at bay and face him head on.

"What're you doing here?" He asked, his voice low. His eyes darted from side to side as the crowd surrounding us erupted in hushed whispers. The words Chwe Group and chaebol echoed in my ears but both were overshadowed by the thundering sounds of orphan and slut that seemed to follow. My grip around Wonwoo's beanie tightened as my gaze hardened. I forced myself to block out their harsh whispers. Hansol turned to the crowd. One swift, sharp glance from him instantly silenced the gossip and whispers. I sucked in a breath of air and tried to focus on only Hansol. Now that he was closer, I could see things much clearer. Like the dark circles under his eyes and the lines of worry creasing his forehead. But I could also see the beginnings of a black eye blossoming in dull blues and blacks. He was just as wrecked as Jihoon.

His tired eyes bore into mine. "I'll ask again. What are you doing here?"

I shook my head and gathered my thoughts. "I-I'm leaving. For good." I replied shakily. My nerves were bundled with anxiety. I wrapped my hands around Wonwoo's beanie and began twisting to keep my hands from shaking too badly. A slight furrow creased his forehead. I waited for the questions, the shouts of don't go or please stay, but Hansol surprised me with neither of these things.

He looked up at me with uncertain eyes. They flickered from me to the plane back and forth until his eyes settled on the plane. On instinct alone, I turned with the feeling that it wasn't just the plane he was looking at. I was right. Sitting there was Jihoon with his bloody lip and his battered hands. As soon as our eyes met he turned away suddenly. I turned back just as quickly, the realization hitting me full on like a load of bricks to the head. My hands were shaking with rage. I turned back to Hansol, eyes blazing.

"You two fought?" I asked in disbelief. I didn't care that I was shouting. I didn't care that everyone in this damn airport was now looking at me. The two of them stupidly beat each other half to death so I felt a bit entitled to shouting as loud as I wanted to. "You two fought. Didn't you?" I asked again.