Chapter 9

"Im not going to another meeting." I fight as i pour coffee into my mum mug. Zeke leans on the kitchen counter, looking at me.

"I understand that, but they can help us."

"How? By telling us that they're going to do anything to destroy the suit, even if that means hurting Hope?" I question.

"They can still help in other ways, and we have to pay for the glass window." He reminds me.

"That won't be the last window i have to pay for." I whisper.

"I saw you fall asleep with Lucas." He admits.

"He was crying." I whisper.

"We have to sort this out."

"We have nothing! Nothing at all." I argue.

"Please, go talk to the Avengers. For me and for Lucas and for...Hope." He begs.

"Fine, but if i punch someone, Im not being held responsible." I point out as i walk to the front door.

"I love you, genius!" Zeke shouts after me.

"I love you too." I reply, climbing into my blue ferari.

The elevator doors ping open and i step out. Thor stands with his back to me, his hammer in his left hand. I stand beside him and watch the screen. A woman stands, writing a physics equation. I sigh, her maths isn't very good.

"Go on, Skye." Thor demands, smiling at me.

I walk up to her and tap her shoulder. She shakes nervously.

"Can i just change something for you?" I ask, putting my hand out for the smartboard pen. She nods and hands it over.

I rearrange the whole equation and then pass it back to her. I turn around and Hawkeye, Thor, Captain, Doctor Banner and Colson stand with their arms crossed, judging me.

"Thor said i could." I grass him up.

"We're in a different room this time, it has plastic windows." Colson announces, glancing at me and Hawkeye laughs.

"Plastic is also very breakable." I point out.

We walk into another but very much the same room. I sit at one of the leather chairs and the Avengers sit on the other seats.

"We had sight of Hope today, but we lost it." Colson announces.

"And you didn't tell me?" I question.

"We tried to follow her but we lost her."

There's a knock at the door and i see a figure walk in. His arc reactor shining proudly.

"Morning guys." He says, waving. All eyes turn to me.

"Im going." I mutter and stand up. Dads hand grabs mine.

"Don't. Please...stay. I want to help you find Hope."

"Oh, i thought you wanted to kill her." I hiss.

"Skye, i don't say sorry a lot. But, Im sorry for everything i have ever done wrong. For not being there for your childhood, for not supporting you as you've grown up. For not being a proper father. I know its hard for you to see me with Aiden because he's getting everything you didn't have. Im sorry. I can't change the past, but i can make the future better." He says, his eyes filling with tears.

I can't look at his regret filled face. I stare at my feet.

"I am so proud of you. Everything you've been through and you've grown up so- so perfect. I am so proud of you and if Aiden or the unborn child grows up to be just 1% of what you are now, i will still be the proudest father ever."

I stare up at him, his eyes full of love as a single tear snakes its way down to his lips and i hug him.

"Thank you." I say, a tear escaping my eye.

"Thank you too." He whispers against my hair.

I pull away, compose myself and then sit down. All of the Avengers stare at us, their eyes scanning us like they're reading a book.

"Right, so...umm... We need a plan to find Hope. Any ideas?" Colson asks, looking hopefully around the table.

"Me and Skye will monitor for the new element and try to replicate it. You lot keep searching for Hope." Dad suggests.

"Sounds like a plan."