Chapter 4

The moon was just rising as the three cats entered the slowing camp. "Lightningstorm come here please" Orangetail called to his former apprentice. Lightningstorm's quick paws padded softly and swiftly over to him.
"Yes Orangetail?"she inquired, her eyes scanning her old mentor over.
"Do you think you could take over the night watch tonight? Yellowtail went with Bluepaw on a night patrol and I promised Stormtail I wouldn't assign him anything so he could watch over his mother." the old tom asked her, a pleading look in his dark blue eyes.
"Of course. You go to bed, I can handle a little night watch" she assured him, softly nudging him towards the warrior's den. Smiling, Orangetail nodded his thanks and walked slowly towards the covered entrance. Sighing, Lightningstorm headed up to highrock to get a better view of the camp. "This will all be yours one day, Lightningkit" Stormtail's voice said, the memory playing from her kit-hood. Smiling a little she jumped up on the final rock.
Stormtail's P.O.V
I couldn't sleep. My mother, Whitestream slept soundly at my side. Since my father died I had to step up and help her. "It'll be good experience when you're a father" Orangetail had told me the night my father was killed. Slowly, I stood up and quietly pawed my way out of the queen's den. I saw a shadow on top of highrock and unsheathed my claws. Looking up, I saw it was only Lightningstorm. Sighing, I sheathed my claws and padded up to the pile of rocks. 'She's beautiful, so strong and brave. She'll make a great leader that I would follow into the Dark Forest if I had to' my thought raced through my head. She wasn't even looking at him, or so he though. Taken by suprise, Lightningstorm had the chance to tackle him to the ground.