The Heartless

I sat on the edge of the tub and bounced my leg nervously. My girlfriend was touching up her side shave and I contemplated how to ask my request.

"Have you ever shaved someone else's hair?" I waited until the sharp object was away from her head to speak. Now, I already knew the answer, but she didn't need to know I had stalked her instagram and the instagrams of those she associated with before we met so I asked as if I hadn't.

"Yeah, why?"

"Are you good at it?"

She raised a single eyebrow. "If I wasn't I wouldn't do it myself, I'd go to a barber."

Oh true. "So you could do mine?"

She seemed surprised, but intrigued nonetheless. "What did you have in mind?"

I secured my hair with a rubber band, all but a small section and almost as if in slow motion the scissors closed and I was left with a patch of short hair.

"Dont fuck up my hair." I half jokingly warned, still very serious.

"I won't! Just hold still." She said and grinned like the Cheshire cat. She made sure I had no way to see her work. Twenty minutes later and she finally let me look at the finished product.

"Oh my god."

"You don't believe in God." She pointed out.

"Fine then smartass. Oh my Alexa." I corrected causing her to smirk.

I examined the clean lines and overall persicion. "So what do ya think?"

"I'm impressed. This is quality work." I praised. "Now get out. I gotta finish getting ready."

"I'll be in the practice room. I got a melody I need to work on. Just come on down when you're done."

Along with my hair I wanted to change up my makeup routine, so I added a thin line of eyeliner to my everyday mascara and base and then blended a few neutral eyeshadows. It was definitely darker, but I liked it. Just like I liked my darker hair and my darker clothes.

I exchanged my typical black shorts that loosely stopped mid thigh for a new short, form fitting pair I had bought recently yet hadn't worn. I then put an oversized thin black tshirt that Alexa had let me sleep in on over my head. It was the same one she'd had on when we met. It stopped just above the hem of my shorts. I also put on Sam's black thigh high socks she had given me and my black hightop converse. I decorated with some silver necklaces, rings and finally an actual nose ring.

"Woah. Your hair." Sam said as I descended the steps. She had a cookie stuffed in her mouth so it sounded more like "Woewah. Yowrah haiyer."

"You like?" I asked aprehensively to which she nodded and wiped crumbs off her face.

"It suits you." She tilted her head like a puppy dog. "You look older."

"Is that a good thing?"

"Definitely. Not that you looked bad before or anything... You looked like a Lydnsey Gunnulfsen, but now? Now you look like a Lynn Gunn."

Alexa appeared in the doorway and Sam smiled at us and excused herself, not without winking of course. Wordlessly, Lex walked up to me and brushed her hand across my cheek. "Don't get me wrong, I like how you look right now" she up downed me "like, alot. And one day thousands, hell maybe even millions, of people will call you Lynn Gunn. But don't forget you'll always be Lyndsey to me."

"I'll always be Lyndsey to me too. I promise."

February 13 Four months later