Fell Again

Winter green and brown like ivory and bare trees looking into Summer green and yellow like palm leaves and sunshine, my eyes met hers. Water like melted snow and calm ocean waves, our tears rained. The cheers were deafening, but I could still hear Sam say yes. She was jumping up and down with a death grip on my arm. I opened my mouth to speak, but it was static. My lips wouldn't form the word and I worried she would take my silence as no. My head tried to nod instead, eventually cooperating. She smiled splittingly and it was like seeing her in person for the first time. The butterflies in my stomach agreed.

They stood up, holding out their right hands. A bony elbow sharp jabbed my side, between my kidney and rib cage. My focus shot to Sam to see her impatiently point at my left hand. My cheeks flushed beet red and I quickly brought my hand up like hers, so my laughing girlfriend could slide the ring on my finger the same time as her sister's boyfriend. The stone was compelling and the black gold band it was set in was a faultless touch, but the sparkle distracted me from the unconventional shape. When my hand moved out of direct stage light, I realized that the sole diamond was cut into a skull. My finacé held my ornamented hand, pulling me to her as she stood up. "Wanted to make sure it fit your aesthetic."

I draped my arms across her shoulders, holding my elbows, my nose brushing against the now full length hair on the side of her head. My thin, black, long sleeved shirt had risen and my jeans fastened below my pelvic bone, so I shivered when her cold hands pressed against the bare skin of my back. I shut my eyes, breathing in and out. This was real. Her hands moved to my hips when I lifted my head to look at her. "I'm so glad I messaged you on facebook." I said seriously and crashed our lips together. The boys hoots and hollers had us both knocking teeth, smiling into the kiss. Sam whistled over the commotion and that's when we really lost it. She held me as our tears of joy blurred with tears from peals of laughter.

I'd walk down the aisle, veiled, passing church pews with light spilling through stained glass geometric Jesus windows for her and her quiet homegrown Catholicism. She slept with rosary hanging from a nail above her bed and I slept with her under that same cross and beads and chord. I didn't have faith in the father, the son or the holy ghost and many would claim that they didn't have faith in me either, but she does and somehow I knew that no man who died to wash away his son's and daughter's sins would denounce them in his house of worship. There was a ringing in my ear getting ready to burst screaming hallelujah motherfucker take me to church.

Our band mates all ran on with air horns and confetti canons, attacking us in a group hug. Through the commotion I saw that Dane's mom, dad and older sister, as well as my parents and brother were now accompanying Sam and Alexa's family side stage. Josh, who had told me he wouldn't be able to swing this show, stood beside Kelsey, who held Rent for Taylor and Lynn two (I was Lynn one though she argued otherwise.) They, along with their new band mate Tyler- an old friend of Justin's, partied with us on stage too. I considered them best pals and even Sam tolerated their company since Kelsey lead by example in making amends.

Gabe and Nate walked out with stools, directing Sam and I to sit. Kelsey carried Rent over because someone had given him two tiaras to crown us. Afterward he reached for his mom and they played pass the toddler. He highfived Lex and Dane as everyone left, so half of Heir could close their performance. They slid their acoustic guitars over their heads with ease and screwed with their pedal boards, strumming a few times.

"Story time." Lex leaned close to her mic stand. "So almost four years ago, we coheadlined the tiny studio with a coupla kids back when they knew how to spell and now they can't, but we're coheadlining the grande ballroom with them, so that's cool."

I flipped her off and glanced back at Alex, Brian and Justin to catch them doing the same.

"Now, Webster Hall, this is the last song of the night." She continued.

"Oh we'll be back." Dane added when boos were shouted. "We live here."

"And for our final song, we dedicate it" Lex smirked "to our Lord and Savior because we are children of God." Laughter shook the walls, Dane stepping back from the mic to crack up as well.

His laughter settled, so he could say his part. "This one's for my blue skies. Despite any distance, I'm always yours." And then he looked to his bestfriend. "Anything to add?"

And then she looked at me. "Sometimes you just have to try again."

We fell in love and then we fell again

The End