You And I

December 2014

I closed my eyes and reveled in the burn, grinding my teeth together when I saw her face behind my shut lids. The guilt crept in and set heavy in my heart. I dropped the butt and crushed it under the heel of my boot, popping a piece of gum into my mouth and flicking the wrapper further down the alleyway. Brian shot me a disapproving look when I waltzed back in to the studio. Alex tossed me a can of axe and I made a show of using it.

"Smell's gone Bri. You can unplug your nose now." I laughed and threw the can back to Alex.

We were in the process of beginning recording for our second record. None of the material was finalized and no dates were set in stone. We probably wouldn't get another chance to work on it for atleast a year, what with our nonstop touring and all. By then I'd probably have an entire new book of shit songs to rewrite and master and what we had now would get replaced, but we focused on what we had now, for now.

I sat on the floor with my back against the couch because of the sheet music and torn lyric pages spread out across the seat cushions like an improvised stand. I picked my guitar up off the carpet where it laid beside me and strummed once, wincing at the sound that greeted me. My hands shook slightly against the bolt as I tuned the high e. I wasn't a nervous tuner, I was just on edge because of the look Brian was giving me. He was an undoubtedly loyal friend but I wasn't his only friend in my game for two. He was quite fond of my girlfriend, everyone was. She's easy to like.

"Who ya texting?" I inquired.

"Alexa." He said casually and smirked when I noticeably stopped fidgeting and glared at him.

"What's up with Lynn's laser eyes?" Alex asked as he stepped out of the booth.

"I pissed her off."

"Why?" He laughed.

"He's snitchin like a bitch." I cut in.

Brian rolled his eyes and looked at me, clear amusement on his face. "I didn't tell her about your nicotine break dollface. I'll let you deal with that when she gets here."

My hand stilled on the strings as I prepared to yell at him. "WH-"

"She was just letting me know that she finished editing chandelier, so I invited her to come chill with us. One, because I want to see the video and two because we aren't in New York for long and we rarely hang out anymore. I figure you should be dying to see her."

I gulped at the accusation laced in his last words. "I am." I defended quietly. "I was planning on calling her as soon as she let me know she was done working. Why'd she text you and not me?" Brian's expression softened as I struggled to keep the hurt out of my question.

"She said she did, but you didn't answer. Have you even checked your phone?" He asked amused again.

"Oh." I blushed at my stupidity as I read through my missed messages. I practically gargled on happiness. She was impossibly sweet and I didn't deserve her.

L: I swear I'm not ignoring you babe!

A: haha I know you aren't. Atleast not purposely.

A: One day you'll learn not to keep your phone on silent and then you'd actually know if someone was attempting to contact you!

L: I know I know. You'd think I'd have learned from the time Josh almost died cutting an orange and I didn't answer so he had to drive himself to the ER but apparently not 😅