nine

P H I L ' S P O V

We had been here for hours now and Dan was slightly intoxicated. I was pretty sober, wanting to stay that way considering I was the designated driver for tonight.

Beyond and Nyla wandered off, and I spotted Dan sitting at the bar. I sauntered over, placing my hand on his shoulder before kissing the top of his head. "Dance with me?"

Dan blushed and I held my hand out. And for once, it happened. His fingers bent, and they intertwined with mine. He was holding my hand again. I pulled him up and led him to the dance floor, finding an empty spot.

We began dancing, my hands resting on his shoulders, and his on my waist. I found Nyla and Bryony, sitting on a couch talking. That was the hope that seemed to be foreshadowed when they had met earlier- a healthy friendship that Bryony maybe thought she was incapable of after only having Wirrow. Something could bloom here.

Nyla seemed sad, as if she were spilling her emotions out to the girl next to her.

Drink in her hand and sadness in her heart, she sat, wanting nothing more than to be understood.

Dan began rutting himself against me and I furrowed my eyebrows, not used to the public display of affection. "Wha-?"

He giggled. "Just follow me."

He leaned forward, his hands tight on my waist, and pressed his mouth to my neck. I melted into his touch, letting my eyes flutter shut and beginning to calm down before I got a bad feeling. It felt like we were being watched. I tensed and tried to pull away from him, but his grip on my waist tightened.

I opened my eyes, and then froze. There was a boy, with blonde hair and light eyes, a leather jacket on and a not-so-friendly look plastered on his pale skin.

But there he stood, alone, his eyes locked on mine with a devious smirk and furrowed eyebrows. Why was he staring so intensely? Before I could get his attention, he was gone with the crowd.

"Dan, stop," I spoke. My boyfriend pulled off of me, confused. "Don't turn around, but a guy from Wirrow's group is here. We have to get Bryony and Nyla and leave."

"But what if he's planning something? We can't just save Bryony and Nyla, we have to get everybody out of here. Besides, how do you know?"

"I just know." I grabbed his arm. "And You know that's not possible. There's over a hundred people in here, maybe more. We'd have to hit the fire alarm or something."

"Then I'll find it. You go get Nyla and Bryony," Dan told me, beginning to walk away. I grabbed at the back of his shirt.

"No! Bryony said we need to stay together at times like these."

And just like that, he was no longer passionate, as he yanked himself from my grasp. "I know what I'm doing." Then, he walked off, disappearing through the crowd.

I groaned, trying to look through the crowd for the other girls. But they were no longer on the couch. In fact, they were no where to be seen. I began to panic.

My eyes darted back to where the boy was standing, but I was greeted with an empty space.

Oh god. This can't be happening.