Chapter 5

© 2013 Sandra Corton

Journal entry 3 Book 2
I can't believe I haven't written in here for the last few days. I have been so caught up in thoughts of Zach. I've been trying to organise his birthday present with a lot of arguments from my family.

They think I shouldn't be so generous. The thing is, I would never use it anyway so I would much rather Zach has it. It's not like Mr Business Man Thomas can't afford it anyway.

I hate sounding so bitter towards Thomas. He makes Mum happy so shouldn't that make me happy? It’s just when I think about how quickly they got together after Dad died, well it makes me suspicious.

I don't even know why I've been thinking about it recently, maybe it's because thoughts of my father still upsets me. Then again I know deep down that the anniversary is coming up soon and that always upsets me.

Another year where he is gone. I know that thoughts like these only start the whole blame cycle that I have, which in turn sets of my anxiety attacks. But no matter which way I look at it I cannot shake the blame from my shoulders. I have to try and think about something else that won't cause me so much pain.

For some strange reason Zach is the only thing that helps me. I was going to be a bit embarrassed when I saw him next and I had to be ready for it. I had given him the first story that I had ever written. It was the first in a series that have been keeping me sane since I lost Dad. I knew that story was raw with emotion but it had been the only thing that kept me going for a very long time.

Facing Zach after he read something of mine so closely made me squirm inside. It brought back my feelings of awkwardness and never fitting in anywhere. I could only hope it wouldn't stop him treating me the way he did.

Chapter 5

Zach’s birthday party was in full swing and it was crazy with celebration at his house. People were everywhere, all smiling and waving at him. But Emily wasn't here and that made the party seem dull and uninviting.

Zach wondered whether he should drive over to her house and force her to come back with him. He knew how touchy she was about cars though, so for a while he put it off.

Eventually he couldn't stand it any longer; he wanted her to be here. She may be quiet and sad, obviously not a party person but it was the mystery of her that always kept him fascinated. He needed her presence here to make his birthday the best it could be. She had said she would come and he was determined that she kept her promise.

He pulled into her driveway and stared at the black convertible sports car parked there. It had a huge red ribbon over the bonnet and looked spectacular. He let out a sigh knowing he would never own a car like that. At the moment he was lucky if he got to drive the family car his parents owned.

He went straight to their intimidating front door but before he could even ring the bell, Emily flew out the door. Those moss green eyes of hers were filled with excitement and a small smile played on her lips.

Zach was stunned. He had never seen Emily look so alive and vivacious. She took his breath away with her very unusual but likeable enthusiasm. This was the girl he wanted to see more often. He needed more from this girl, whose life hadn't been destroyed by what had happened when her father died.

"Happy birthday Zach." She said in that soft way she talked making Zach completely speechless.

He almost wanted to say 'who are you and where is Emily?', but he managed to keep his mouth shut. Hearing her say his name gave him the sweetest thrill and he wanted her to say it repeatedly, knowing he would never get sick of it.

She gestured to the decked out car while he was still trying to grapple with how casually she had just spoke to him. In the next instant she was tugging on his sleeve so he would follow her but he was still in the dark as to why.

"Hello Zachary." He heard June's voice and turned his head to see her and Thomas watching them.

"Um hey June, Thomas. What's going on?" Zach asked once he cleared his throat and stopped staring at Emily.

"This was a car we bought for Emily and she wants you to have it." Thomas said simply as he smiled at the younger man.

Zach turned to Emily, his mouth dropping open in shock. She did that tiny shoulder shrug thing as though it was nothing. He looked back over to her parents who smiled at him in encouragement. Emily's hopeful almost expectant expression had him stumped for how to answer.

Was she really giving him a car for his birthday? The thing was it wasn't just any car, this thing was a powerfully awesome sports car. From the leather interior to the sun roof, it screamed expensive. Even the metallic paint, the chrome rims and the raised bonnet told him that this was a car he could never afford. As much as he wanted to drool over it, he knew that it could never really be his.

"Em I really want to say yes right now but this is your car not mine." Zach shook his head firmly even while his words were gentle. Emily frowned at him before turning to her parents.

"Zach we checked with your parents and though they were a bit shocked they are allowing it. It's already registered in your name, insured in your name and it’s got a tank full of fuel. It's yours.” Thomas explained and the earlier exhilaration took flight in Zach's chest.

Zach was so ecstatic on the inside. Could he really have such a fantastic car as this? But then reality hit, he couldn't afford the upkeep on this car. Crap he wasn't sure he could even afford fuel for it!

He must have been debating internally for a while without realising he had an audience. He stared longingly at the car; it was any guys dream to own a car like this one. He just felt that it wasn't right to take this away from Emily.

"I don't like cars." Emily said as she nudged him in the side.

"I know that Em but this is too much.” Zach gestured expansively to the car.

"Please.” She pleaded with him.

Once she turned those mossy green eyes on him he knew he was a goner. Maybe he could repay Emily's kindness by doing something for her in return. He thought about it for a moment before the most brilliant of all plans hit him.

“I’ll take it on one condition maybe two.” He said sending her a serious look and she nodded her head. "I will pick you up and take you to school every day and if you want to go anywhere then I'll take you there too."  He bargained with her.