Chapter 2

Just like April said, it was pandemonium trying to get out of the arena and one third of the people were trying to go backstage so I slipped through them and made my way backstage. It was pitch black. I happened to find some stairs, well, I hit my shin on the bottom of the staircase. I rub my sore shins as I ascend the staircase that leads to a hallway with lots of unlabeled doors and a vending machine. I bought a water and kept walking. It was kinda like a scary movie. I turned the corner and heard footsteps. My heart starts racing and I run down another hallway, shoving a random door open. I lean against the door, catching my breath and taking a sip of my water. I need to keep moving. I turn a corner to a dimly lit area. Much better than the pitch black maze that I just came from. This area has mirrors on the wall with more unlabeled doors.

Just like April said, I would get lost. All I could hear was the clicking of my own heels echoing throughout the empty hall... or so I thought it was empty.

"Sheryl?" I hear a soft voice call in the distance.

I freeze as the footsteps come closer to me, clicking on a light switch. My eyes get wide and my heart is racing like it never had before. It's Michael.

His expression is filled with confusion, like he wants to call the police on me. "I didn't know anyone was back here. I don't see any backstage pass on you either." He says calmly.

I just stare at him, gaping. Okay, I need to really pull myself together. I didn't think I would get this way around him. Or around anyone, for that matter. I clear my throat. He is fine.

"I-I'm sorry. I got lost in the crowd and I was shoved over to this area. I have been trying to find an exit. Three doors and hallways, here I am." I chuckle, nervously.

Nervous? Why am I nervous? I never get nervous.

Michael studies me and the story that I just gave him. I gotta admit, that was a pretty stupid story, even for me.

"I guess that happens sometimes. The crowd can get very wild." He says, smiling lightly.

"At least I wasn't lost in your dressing room." I joke, trying to lighten the mood.

His smile grows and he seems to physically relax in front of me. He's kinda tall. And kinda hot.

"You don't know how many times that has happened." His smile growing with every word.

He has a really nice smile, it makes me smile.

"Are you alone?" He asks, surveying his surroundings.

"Yes." I nod, slowly.

"I know all of the exits. Let me take you out. Grab my hand." He says, holding his hand out for me to take.

I slowly grab his large hand and he walks in front of me, guiding me through the corridors. We go down a flight of stairs and eventually reach an exit in the darkness.

"Do you have a ride?" He asks, turning to me before we walk out of the door.

"Yes, let me call her." I say, rifling through my purse for my phone. I scoff. "I forgot! I was holding my phone during the concert, to call my mom, and it dropped in the crowd. I tried looking for it, but people kept trying to step on me. I will just take the bus." I explain, pushing the door open.

Michael follows me out the door, pulling my arm gently to turn me around. "Absolutely not. You can't ride the bus alone this late at night. Please let me take you home." He offers.

I wave him off. "Oh no. I couldn't really. I know you're tired and you have to get to the next city or something. I don't want you to go out of your way." I say, counting my change from my purse.