f i v e

" WHY ARE THINGS THIS WAY ? "

>>>>

{your p.o.v.}

>>>>

The skeleton is turned away from you, holding a red scarf to his face. Even though you see the ashes, you know that it's Papyrus that's dead. You feel like you've been through this all before, so it's not hard to guess. You've seen Sans like this. The blue magic, the snow. The dead brother.

You doubt that you saved Papyrus every single time you were in this time line, though.

"Hello?" You call out to the skeleton. Sans slowly stands up and faces you. You find out where the blue light is coming from, though in your heart, you knew all along. His left eye is lit up and dances crazy colors. He sees your face, and falters for a second. Something about you upsets him.

You step forward and try again.

"Are you Sans? Sans the skeleton? My name is-" Your instincts take over when something is hurled at you. A blue beam barely skims you. Sans is shaking, you hear his bones rattling. It's odd, suddenly you get tears in your eyes. One streaks down your cheek. You take another step toward him.

You need to get a hold of that scarf. The ashes, too. If you bring Papyrus back, that might calm Sans down. You take another step and barely dodge another one of his attacks. You take another step but his voice stops you.

"I hate you," he says. His voice is bitter and tired. You can tell he doesn't want to kill you. Why, you don't know. Sans sounds fed up, but too lazy to stop anything. You shuffle closer. Only two more steps and you can nab the scarf from Sans' other hand.

"I'm not... I didn't kill your brother." Was that it? Did he really think that it was your fault? For pete's sake... no, for San's sake... you're trying to protect him. Toriel made you promise, unfortunately. You reach out slowly and hold out your hands. "I can bring your brother back, Sans." His extended hand shakes and falters for a second.

"You're lying," he says through gritted teeth. It sounds like he doesn't believe his own accusation. "There's no way to fix the time line. Especially by you, (y/n)." His voice is bitter.

Your vision with him and Toriel is a lot different than the person in front of you now. Sans is joking and funny in the vision. But now he's really scaring you. There's a whole other side of him that you've seen only in the first few minutes with each other.

"Let me prove it to you. I really wouldn't lie to you," you say with a patient smile. Holding out your hand, you motion for the scarf. He clings on to it for a second. "Please, trust me. I'm not going to do anything to hurt anyone." Sans is weighing his options. You feel like he's made this choice before.

Sans mutters something under his breath, and looks away. You see a look of disgust on his face. With you, or himself? He hands you the red scarf. Well, more like tosses it. You wrap your hands around it and try to concentrate. Even though you thought that objects would be more difficult than the ashes, it proves not to be very hard.

Especially with something he wears all the time, it seems. This scarf is something that makes Papyrus... well, Papyrus. And that's why it's so easy.

You reach back to when Papyrus was alive.

>>>>

Frisk stands tall in front of a tall, talkative skeleton. There's a knife in their hand, the same one that killed Toriel. They have the same grin on their face. The skeleton is happily chatting with Frisk, talking about being friends.