t w e n t y

"THEY EAT AWAY AT YOU"

>>>>

QUESTION 4 U:

What's your favorite Undertale quote?

ANSWER 5 ME:

"I can't afford not to care anymore."

>>>>

{your p.o.v.}

>>>>

Sans is waiting patiently for you when you come out of the small side area of Waterfall. You decide to call it the Quiche room. With a grin, you hold out the quiche to Sans.

"Care for a break and bite to eat as we catch up?"

"'Course. When am I not up for a break?" His regular cheeky comments make you smile. Flowey, you realize, is nowhere to be seen. The flower is obviously not happy. The two of you sit down by a flowing stream. Sans starts to dish out the poor, abandoned quiche as you talk.

You tell him everything but the vision you had, because you don't think it's important. But you do tell him about the voice that keeps haunting you, telling you that it's going to make you suffer. Sans seems especially unhappy about that one.

"Threatening you... they're asking for a bad time." His anger is genuine, and it surprises you. It's as if Sans knows who the person that's plaguing you is. But he doesn't tell you, and you don't ask.

"It's alright," you say, taking a bite of the quiche. "Hey, I have an important question to ask you. It's of dire importance, actually." Sans raises his nonexistent eyebrows.

"Shoot it at me." He takes a bite of the quiche. You see his shoulders tighten, as if he's steeling himself for a possibly deep question that will bring on an existential crisis. You can't blame him, really. The whole relationship between you and Sans is practically an existential crisis.

"How do you even eat food?" You ask. It's a question that's been on your mind for so long now. Sans stares at you for a second before a wide smile stretches across his face.

"C'mere, and I'll show you." He takes a bite of the quiche; you scoot closer to get a good look at the show. Pulling up his shirt with his free hand, where Sans' stomach should be is a floating piece of food; the quiche. Blue magic, a lot like when Sans' eye glows, eats at the food. Fascinated, you watch as the magic digests the food. After it's done, the whole thing disintegrates and disappears.

Your mouth falls open.

Absolutely amazing.

Your skeleton sure is interesting.

"Holy crud," is all you manage.

"Pap and I aren't really sure how it happens. I'm no skeletist." You give him a joking glare and nudge with your elbow at the weak joke. Sans lets his shirt drop again. Any other person who has a crush on Sans might fawn over the fact that he pulled up his shirt, but honestly... you don't care.

It's bones.

It's Sans' personality that really makes you adore the skele. And the fact you've been through so much shit together. Timeline after timeline, yet you're still here with him. It's almost painful to think about.

In some of them, you weren't really sitting with him. You were inflicting pain. It's so stupid. Sometimes you don't regret it, and sometimes you do. At times it seems like it's completely justified that you hurt them; there is no gaining absolute knowledge without sacrifice.