H

"She's gone."

        Baekhyun whispered, his words coming out as silver puffs that eventually disappeared into the darkness of the alley. Maybe she went to use the restroom?

        With the little scrap of hope he had in mind, he went and placed himself on the cold floor, where the girl had sat before. He made sure to hold the bag with the freshly baked bagel and cookies tightly so that no air would seep through; that way, everything will stay warm until the girl comes back.

        The girl, Mina, was hiding up on the last stair of a ladder that was in same dark corner. She wasn't visible because of how dark it was.

        She couldn't help but continue to stare at the boy who introduced himself as Baekhyun. But seriously though, is he actually this dumb?

        This was the city, where strangers didn't really interact with one another.

        He's obviously not from here.

        She squeezed his wallet in her hands, the rubber almost burning her fingers, as she contemplated how she should approach him. She had no means of stealing it, in fact, in all honestly she wanted to test him. A tiny part of her was relieved that he came back. Still, why is he still sitting and waiting for me?

        Mina jumped down, the ladder was only a few feet tall, landing right in front Baekhyun.

        Startled, the gave a fearful shout and stood up, dropping everything that was in his hands. Neither of them noticed that the lid of the hot chocolate came off, the cookies slipped outta the bag, and the bagel? Well, it was actually the thing left that was safe to eat.

        "What the hell is wrong with you?" Mina raised an eyebrow at him, "Why'd you come back?"

        "I'm fine, thanks for asking." Baekhyun joked.

        "No seriously, are you stupid?" She felt annoyed with him. Why did he even decide to help me in the first place? People don't do that.

        Baekhyun recognized the annoyance from her voice, "I'm sorry, I just wanted to–"

        "You think this is a f***ing joke?" Her voiced started to rise. "You think you can trick me again? Huh, Jun?!"

        "J-Jun...?" Baekhyun whispered to himself.

        "Well, guess what? It's not happening, because unlike you, I'm not stupid!" Mina continued to rant, her voice curdling with hatred and disgust.

        Baekhyun figured that she wasn't directing any of her words towards him, so he didn't say anything.

        Mina didn't even realize what came out of her mouth, but when it hit her, she took a step back.

        Lowering her head, so that her hoodie covered more than half her face, she cleared her throat in embarrassment. He's not Jun, what the hell was I doing?

        "S-sorry." She mumbled, digging her hands in her pockets; his wallet still placed there. "I-I... I didn't–"

        She was interrupted with a harsh cough, feeling it scrape through her throat as it pushed itself out.

        Remembering why he was here in the first place, Baekhyun worriedly walked up to her. "It sounds like they're worse now." He whispered, as he unconsciously lifted her chin with his cold knuckles, and placed his gentle hand on the nape of her neck.

        Mina froze in place, as she widely stared at this Baekhyun. His hands were cold, yes, but why was his touch so burning hot. As weird as it felt, it was soothing. Their stare was cut off when another wave of coughs came from the girl that stood in front of him.

        Baekhyun let go of her and turned, looking for the stuff he had just bought. "Here, I need you to drink this–" Baekhyun saw the not-so-hot chocolate's lid beside his foot and he made a frown when he noticed the mess in front of him. "Aw, man."

        He was disappointed because he didn't think he had enough money to buy her another one, because he would. Or maybe I do...

        "I'm so so so sorry about this, please forgive me, I don't know how this happened." He turned to her and began looking through his pockets. "But have no fear, I'll make up for it." He smiled, reassuring the dark eyed girl. Hopefully.

        But his smile soon faded as he noticed that his wallet was nowhere to be found. Uh-oh.

        Mina noticed this and assumed what he was looking for was with her. She pulled out his wallet and held it out with both hands, still keeping her head low. He probably thought I was gonna steal it.

        "Oh, you found it!" Baekhyun said. "Haven't been with you for an hour and already your bringing me luck. Do me a favor? Can you please check inside and see how much money I have left, while I clean up the mess I made?"

        This time she looked up at him in awe. Was he dropped on the floor when he was a baby?

        Still, the smile he gave her before turning around to pick up the mess, made her feel reassured and slightly warm inside. Mina was hesitant to open it; to go through his personal privacy. She wasn't that type of person, although some might assume she is. But he did give me permission; an order, in fact– wait, he can't tell me what to do.

        "Did you find anything?" Baekhyun called. He was still feet away and his back was turned, because he was throwing things in the dumpster.

        Not wanting to respond, or speak at all for that matter, Mina continued to fight with herself. At the last second, she opened it anyway.

        There wasn't much in there other than his ID and a couple of coins and receipts. She did also spot ten dollars and pulled out.

        That was when Baekhyun hopped in front of her in excitement. "You found ten bucks! You're like a lucky charm or something." He snatched the money and shoved into his back pocket. "Hey, come with me this time? It's really late right now and this is no place for a charm to be lying in."

        The girl shook her head, saying no. Then another round of coughing began, this time much worse. She hugged herself and bent down, as she became lightheaded and dizzy.

        Baekhyun held her shoulder, "Woah, there. Here, drink some water, please. " He opened the cap of the bottled water he bought, and tried handing it to her put it was no use.

        She wouldn't accept it.

        Mina continued to cough, to the point where she had to sit down. She covered her face using her hands.

        That's when Baekhyun became really worried. His heart even started beating faster. He was scared something might happen to her. "Please, I'm begging you." Baekhyun bent down so that their heads were the same level. "At least come with me to the coffee shop that's near. It's warm there and–"

        Mina, still coughing, pushed Baekhyun away from her and began trotting away, half bent.

        "Hey, where are you going?" He said to her. Maybe to somewhere safe?

        Turning around away from the alley, Mina felt her legs almost giving up, despite the fact that she hasn't traveled that far. Feeling like her vision is disappearing, Mina stopped and paused to try to catch her breathe. But how when I can't stop coughing.

        Baekhyun followed her and hearing her gasp for air almost made him feel the pain himself.

        Mina felt her heartbeat in her head and in that moment, that was all she could hear.

        A heartbeat.

        She didn't even noticed the shouts and screams that came from Baekhyun because she blacked out.

~ ~ ~

vote, comment, stay beautiful.