May's Change of Heart

May Maple was quiet.  She never let anyone in.  She never let herself out.  She hid inside her shell.  Only one person had ever seen her true self.

"I graded all of your mid term exams."  The class groaned.  "HEY!  I said sit down and shut up!"  The Sapphire slammed her book on the desk.  The class jumped.  Sapphire cleared her throat and continued.  "As I was saying, I graded your midterm exams, and I'm proud to say that the highest score goes to May Maple."  Everyone turned towards the young girl, who sunk down in her seat.  "Anyway, since today's the last day before your winter break, you have the day to do whatever."  The class cheered and ran out the door.  Except for May.  "May, hon, what's wrong?  You seem upset."  Sapphire sat on the desk beside her.  "I-I'm fine."  She stammered.  "May, you're a very sweet girl, and one of my best students.  You can trust us, you know."  May nodded.  As she went to leave, Sapphire grabbed her wrist.  "May, what are these?"  Sapphire asked, sounding slightly angry.  "S-Scars.  I got scratched by a cat."  Sapphire saw right through her lie.  "May, I know you're lying.  Just please..."  Sapphire's eyes filled with tears.  "Please tell me these aren't from... cutting."  May said nothing, and Sapphire began to cry.  "May, I'm begging you, don't go down this road.  It gets worse."  She sobbed.  "How do you know?" May snapped and pulled her wrist away.  Sapphire took it and shouted, "I know it gets worse because I went down that road!"  May's eyes widened.  "I... I used to be just like you.  Smart, pretty.  I was bullied, too.  So, I began cutting.  I almost died when I cut too deep.  That made me open my eyes, see that not only was I hurting myself, but I was hurting everyone I loved.  Cutting in itself is bad, but add bulimia and it's deadly.  You could bleed to death, or vomit to death."  Sapphire was sobbing.  "So, please May. Stop."  Sapphire held May's wrists weakly.  "I.... I'll try."  Sapphire hugged the young brunette.  "Thank you."  Sapphire wiped her eyes.  "Look at me.  Getting emotional in front of my students.  I'm a mess.  Now go on.  Get outta here."  Sapphire shooed May, back to her old self.  As soon as May left the classroom, she went to find Drew.  "Hey, you.  What took you so long?"  Drew laughed lightly, seeing her smile.  "I was talking to Sapphire."  Drew lead her away from the group.  "About what?"  May grabbed her upper arm and looked at the ground.  "The fact that I cut, and that I'm bulimic."  Drew tilted her chin up to meet his eyes.  "You know it's not healthy, right?"  May nodded, shame writted all over her slender figure.  "You also know that there are people that can help you with this, right?"  May looked up in shock.  "If you need help, you can come to us, you know that?"  The group smiled at May, who's eyes were watering.  She threw her arms around Drew and pressed her lips to his.  "Thank you."  She whispered, tears running down her face.  "That's why we're here."  May smiled.  With friends like hers, she knew she could get through anything.  May felt... Powerful.  Free.  Like nothing in the world could bring her down.  May didn't know the name of this, but she never wanted it to end.  But all good things must come to an end, and May was unprepared for what would come next.