Drew's Lethal Accident

Drew Hayes hadn't been himself lately. He still acted cheery on the outside, but on the inside, he was hiding something, something he thought only he knew about. But his best friend, May Maple, knew something was wrong, desperately wrong, with Drew. She just needed it out before it was too late.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Over the past semester, Drew had been doing alright in class, nothing noteworthy. Of course, health wise, that was another story. Drew's bones showed through his clothes, an he knew that. But he would rather help other people than care for himself. "Drew, you okay? You look really pale." May placed her hand on top of Drew's and gave a worried smile. "I-I'm fine, May. Just.... Haven't been... Getting.... enough sleep." Drew mumbled, his vision fading in and out. "Drew? Drew, listen to me!" Mays voice was distorted and far away, but it was the last thing he heard before his vision went totally black. When he opened his eyes, May was looking down at him, disappointment and worry clear in her watery sapphire eyes. "W-What happened? Where am I?" Drew groaned trying to sit up. He was pushed back down by May who frowned before bursting into sobs just seconds later, throwing her arms around Drew. "You scared me. Don't you ever do that again, you hear me?" She attempted to look angry, but she came off as scared. "I-I didn't mean to scare you." Drew mumbled into her hair. "I-I thought you were going to die, Drew. I mean, look at you. You're... Not you anymore." May couldn't think of a better way to describe how Drew looked. He hadn't eaten in God knows how long, and it didn't look like he was getting much sleep, either. "What aren't you telling me, Drew?" May said softly, pulling away from him and making Drew look her in the eyes. "You're deathly pale, dead tired, and I can see that you haven't been eating, Drew. What the hell is going on?" Mary's lower lip trembled slightly as she fought the urge to cry. 'If I told you, it would kill you, May.' Drew thought sadly. "I-I just haven't been feeling good lately." He lied, giving a soft smile, but knowing May would see right through it. "Bullshit. Andrew Oliver Hayes, tell me what's wrong or so help me, I'll never talk to you again." Drew sighed softly, looking down at his hands, then back up at May. When he didn't say anything, May stood up, and like she promised, walked right out the door, not even saying goodbye. But only seconds after May left, Drew broke down. Pulling his knees up, he laid his head on his arms, not wanting to face the world. "It's because of you that I'm doing this to myself, May. I'm sorry." May's eyes widened. 'How could I have missed it?' She leaned against the wall, letting gravity pull her to the ground. "No, I'm the one who should be sorry, Drew. I'm hurting you, after all you've done for me." She sat for a while, crying softly until her eyes burned. She ran back to her room, rummaging through the drawers until she found what she was looking for. Taking the point, she dragged it across her arms until all her skin was covered in crimson. "This is what I deserve, Drew. I deserve this.... I caused you so much pain, after you took care of me and helped me so much. I don't deserve you, Drew. I don't deserve /life/." Then, May's entire world became a sea of darkness. When a pounding in her head for Ed her eyes open, May found she was in a room of white. A dark-haired boy was standing over her, smiling a little. "Glad to see you're still with us, May." Ash said, brushing some of her hair from her eyes. "W-Why?" She asked, sitting up slightly. "Why did you save me, Ash? I don't deserve to live anymore. Not after what I did to Drew." May wasn't crying loudly, but tears were running down her cheeks as she spoke. Ash reached over to wipe them away, smiling. "Because I care about you, May. I-I have... Since the moment I met you." He admitted, his amber eyes meeting May's sapphires all the while. "I-I always hurt the people who get too close to me." She directed her eyes towards the floor, a slight flush lighting her pale skin. "What I'm saying is..." Ash turned May's head up so she was forced to meet his eyes. "I'm in love with you, May." Mays eyes widened as she realized what Ash was saying. Since she met him, May had always felt... Differently towards Ash than anyone else, besides Drew. She nodded softly, too afraid to speak. "Then, is it okay if I do this?" Ash leaned down and gently kissed May, making her flush deepen as she let out a squeak of surprise before softly returning the gesture. 'Maybe.... I can start over.'