CH. 18.5

It wasn't a kiss so much as a total ravagery of all her senses. The spicy scent of his cologne -Old Spice, maybe?- assailed her senses, coupled with the softer-than-fleece cotton shirt he was wearing rubbing against her in delightful friction while his lips claimed hers in a possessive kiss. Sensations exploded, threatening to send her into overdrive as she dug her fingers into his shoulders.

He gripped her waist, navigating her onto the desk. She vaguely realized the binder was no longer in his hands, but instead on the seat of Paige's chair. Her legs wrapped around his waist, pulling his toned abdomen closer to her. Nate's fingers were raking through her hair, thankfully not meeting any resistant tangles along the way, while he was nibbling her lower lip.

"Avoid the bearclaw," Willa moaned into his mouth. She could feel his lips twitch into a smile against hers.

"Either you have Aspergers or you're deliberately trying to kill the mood," he whispered against her lips, eyes crinkling at the corners as he grinned.

"No, I mean, you're two seconds from planting your hand onto that bearclaw."

He glanced down at the desk, face twisting into a disgusted impression. "Thanks." Refusing to allow it to break the mood, he gave her a flirtatious wink. "Any other idea where I could put my hand?"

"Smooth," Willa laughed, unable to remember the last time she'd enjoyed herself with a guy and not felt awkward or uncomfortable.

The morning light streaming through the blinds hit Nate's hair, its natural lustre giving the illusion of melting milk chocolate. His eyes, no longer brown, were a golden honey shade and were filled with emotion. "I liked you from the first moment I saw you," he admitted quietly, almost shyly.

"When I busted you, you mean?" Willa couldn't help but ask, lightly punching his arm.

Nate ducked his head, grinning. "Yeah, little miss I-watch-cop-shows."

Willa realized her legs were still wrapped around his waist. Weirdly, she didn't feel compelled to release him. Normally, she would have been mortified, but she was so at ease around him that it felt like why weren't we doing this sooner?!

"I sort of hate that you work for her," Nate said. "I put you in an awkward position. I never apologized for that."

"I'm not complaining about my position," Willa replied with a sultry confidence that was new to her, smiling at him from beneath lowered lashes.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that, Willa," came the cold, judgmental voice of Paige Grimsby from the doorway. She held up a small key, letting it dangle from her hand as realization slammed into Willa with the force of a train. "You forgot that I have a key," Paige continued, voice filled with barely-contained rage.

Willa immediately swung her legs off the desk, giving Nate a little push to back him up so she could hop down.

"I expected more professional behavior from you," Paige said in a distinctly icy tone, barely giving Nate a glance. "I'm afraid I'll have to let you go. I'll give you a reference but I want you gone immediately. Empty your desk, log out of the computer, and return your key."

"You can't fire her for a moment of indiscretion," Nate spoke up.

Willa scooped up the binder. "Let's go, Nate."

"The binder stays with me. It's my property." Paige extended her hand for it.

"No," Willa replied staunchly.

Paige darted a look between Nate and Willa, then addressed Nate with scathing condescension. "I suppose you've been telling her your cock and bull story about Simeon, then?"

"If by that you mean the truth, then yes," retorted Nate, standing protectively in front of Willa.

There was a moment of silence while the three of them faced off, broken only by Paige's admission of, "I read your manuscript, Willa. It was quite good. I meant to tell you that this afternoon. Just one little suggestion, though." Her expression was menacing, her lips curled into a vindictive sneer and her nostrils flared into two round o's, like a dragon. "Hanna's little writer friend who encourages her to blog? Well, that was a bit transparent, don't you think? I'd like to see less of her and more of Hanna. The one who actually matters."

There was no way Paige could know about Cyn or what effect her words would have on Willa. Startled, she was unable to hold back her gasp of shock.

"Let me guess," Paige continued. "A professor once told you that writers write about what they know. And poor little Willa realized she didn't know very much at all about anything of importance so she embellished a little." Paige arched a brow at Willa. "Tell me when I'm getting warm."

"You have no idea what you're talking about," Willa managed, pointing a finger at Paige angrily.

"You need some new experiences, Willa," Paige said with a faux-regretful shake of her head. "Broaden your mind. And try not to be so woefully transparent. Whoever this girl is, you're clearly jealous of her." If it was even possible, she got even more catty. "Does she know that this whole book is a homage to her from the little wallflower trying to share her limelight?"

"Willa," Nate said firmly.

Willa stared at him, hazy with disbelief. How was it so evident to someone who didn't even know Cyn? Why was everyone seeing what she couldn't? Was Maryam right? Was Cyn right? Had Willa somehow subconsciously projected her relationship with Cyn onto the characters in her book?

"You're not leaving here with that binder," Paige said, refusing to budge from the door.

"We're not leaving here without it," Nate half-growled. Willa stumbled after him as he bodily had to push past Paige, the binder held tight in her arms.

As they bypassed her desk in the entrance of the room, she only paused long enough to grab her purse, not bothering to log out of her computer or push in her chair.

"Say goodbye to that reference, Willa!" Paige shouted after them as the door banged shut on her words.

"Run, Nate," Willa whispered, eyes moist with unshed tears. "Get me out of here."

Author's Note: Two chapters in one night for you guys! It's Christmas come early! Haha. My poor confused Willa. A lot of things came to a boiling point in the past few chapters - what do you think Willa should do from here? I'd love some responses :~) I may even feature some in future chapters! As always, votes/reviews/additions to reading lists make this little writer's heart get all warm and fuzzy.