CH. 27

"I can't believe how tan you are!" Willa exclaimed, enveloping her parents in a hug.

Laughing, Lila Grainger brushed a curly wisp of graying brown hair away from her face, returning her daughter's embrace. "I haven't been this tan since that disastrous spray tan your Aunt Bev insisted all we bridesmaids do the week before her wedding."

In unison, her husband and daughter groaned, remembering the hot July wedding. Held outdoors at a botanical garden, the wedding had started off beautiful and romantic. It had ended with the groom saying, "I do, even though you're orange." All the guests had started suppressing their horrified giggles when they noticed the orange stains on Aunt Beverly's collar dripping steadily down her dress. The bride had burst into tears and the groom comforted her through his own laughter, winding up kissing her just to stop the downpour - even though the minister hadn't technically told him to kiss the bride yet.

"You guys were gone for so long," Willa half-heartedly complained as she followed her parents into the living room. "I bet you're glad to be home."

A statuesque Colonial-style home, it boasted a large, open floor plan with plenty of windows. The main door opened to a large foyer, which branched off in three directions. To the left was the guest bedroom and laundry room, with a door leading to the garage. If you went right, you entered the kitchen and dining room. If you went straight, you'd be heading straight for the living room.

A large staircase on the left side of the living room wall led upstairs to the family bedrooms, the lounge, and her parent's shared home office. On either side of the staircase were built-in bookshelves lined neatly with books of matching height and uncracked spines. An entire row was devoted to travel books and Willa immediately noticed a few new guidebooks crammed onto the end of the shelf.

The walls were a mustard yellow and the furniture was in neutral shades of white and beige. Instead of the usual matching mustard pillows, however, Willa saw brightly colored cushion covers with elephants, birds, and flowers intricately embroidered. Small pieces of mirror was woven into the fabric to create the center of each flower and she caught her reflection a dozen tiny times. "These are beautiful," she said, sinking onto a loveseat.

"Mmmm," her mother hummed. "I bought some for you, if you'd like."

"Definitely," Willa said, tracing her finger over an elephant's trunk.

Her mother reached forward and slightly tilted a book on the coffee table to a microscopic degree, then leaned back on the couch next to Willa with a self-satisfied smile on her face. "Would Maryam like one, too?"

"Um, she goes back to India pretty often. I think she has some already."

"What about Cyn?" Her mother's brow furrowed.

"Maryam can get one for her if she wants. Where's Dad?" Willa tried to redirect.

"He's getting refreshments," Lila said dismissively, leaning towards Willa with a steely gaze. "Is something going on between you and your friends?"

"No."

"That doesn't sound very convincing, darling. What's wrong?"

"Nothing! Seriously." Willa shook her head vigorously. "I'm just not really friends with them, anymore."

"I've got ladoos and samosas!" Forrest Grainger sang out as he entered the living room with a wooden tray in his hands.

"Shhh!" Lila hissed, much to the bewilderment of her husband.

He exchanged glances with Willa before sitting down. "Willa, try these," he enthused, giving a square white plate to Willa with a round yellow dessert on it.