1

The air was thick and humid as the sun rose over the old Alabama farm. Dani, a seventeen year old high school senior, was in the country kitchen stirring a pot of porridge humming to herself. "Morning sweetie." an elderly man said limping into the room, his walking stick grasped tightly in his hand.

"Hey pops." Dani replied planting a kiss on his cheek. He rolled his eyes at her affection but his pride for his eldest granddaughter shone though.

"So daddy's gone to the train station to pick up your friend's granddaughter and he'll be back for noon. I'm gonna eat breakfast then I have to go help move the hay. Daddy's switching the horses from the north barn to the south barn so it means a hell of a lot of work for us and a pointless venture for him." Dani sighed before scooping out four bowls of porridge. She placed four glasses on the table and filled them with orange juice.

The old man smile gladly accepting the bowl and digging in. "Tyler, Maddie breakfast!" Dani yelled placing the other bowls on the table. After a moment pounding steps could be heard on the stairs and then Tyler sprinted into the room. "Hey speedy calm down. Your food isn't going anywhere." Grandpa joked shaking his head at his only grandson.

"Hey what's with this crap?! You always make pancakes on Mondays. They start the week off right. That's your saying!" Tyler exclaimed staring at his porridge disgusted.

"Okay you're acting like a baby instead of my big brother so buck up kid. We have pancakes school mornings. It is officially the summer holidays now so we have no time for low energy foods. Its work time buddy. We've got hay to be moving!" Dani announced hands on her hips.

She moved to the doorway shouting "Madison get your cute butt down here!" A mumbled 'coming' was enough to satisfy Dani and she took her seat at the table.

Maddie strolled in a few minutes later wearing three quarter length light blue jeans and a checked red shirt. Her hair had been straightened and she wore a light coating of makeup. "What the fuck is on your face?" Tyler grunted peering up from his bowl.
"Language! "Dani and Pops reprimanded immediately.

Maddie's cheeks flushed as she took her seat at the table and she stared into her bowl.
"Is that 'cause that Jesse kid is working here over the summer? You're too young to be breeding in the barn." Tyler murmured popping another spoonful into his mouth.

"Maddie don't listen to him. Tyler she is thirteen. Watch your language!" Pops scolded. "Fine." he sighed rolling his eyes at Dani's glare.

"Anyway the agenda for today is Ty you're on horse duty. Move them from the stables to the bottom field. Maddie you and Jesse can muck out the stables while they're gone. Then I need all of you to check the cows. I'm not sure their water pump is working and it's far too warm to let them get dehydrated." Dani commanded checking over a list on her phone.

"Why can't Dad check the cows? I have my hands full with the horses." Tyler complained draining the contents of his glass.

"Because your father is collecting my friend's granddaughter from the station. Her train arrives at ten so he left a little before eight. Your sister has been up since seven, checking the chickens and making breakfast so stop being obnoxious and get on with it." Pop's said his "anger" not convincing any of his grandchildren.

"Why is she coming here?" Maddie asked stirring the last of her porridge around. "Her grandparents found condoms and weed in her drawer and god forbid she have premarital sex!"
"Tyler!" Dani and Pops once again corrected.

Maddie giggled and scooped up the last spoon of her breakfast. "Okay Ty horses, Maddie stables. I'll go fetch the tractor and trailer and start loading it with the bales. Ace and Jesse are due here at half eight but as its eight forty five now I'm guessing they'll join us at nine. Alright go team go!"