6

Dani and Santana strolled into the house in silence. They were exhausted but relieved. All the bales were safely stacked in the south barn and they both felt a sense of pride because they completed it together. Ace had gone home early to grab all the necessary equipment for tonight leaving the girls to complete the task alone. They did finish it however making his offer to "help" the "weak females" tomorrow obsolete.

Pushing the screen door open Santana grinned at Dani.
"There is no way you're a cheerleader. They're bitchy and beautiful and oh so irritating!" Dani huffed walking backwards into the kitchen in order to maintain eye contact with Santana.
"Ouch. Nice underhand way of saying I'm ugly!" Santana said feigning offence.
"Oh please we both know you are stunning! I meant you're not irritating." Dani removing her boots as they arrived at the stairs.

"But I am bitchy?" Santana queried struggling to tug her own boots from her feet and looking to a smiling Dani who was perched on the bottom step waiting for her.
"The Queen Bitch." Dani smirked grabbing hold of Santana's boot and yanking it off.
Santana grinned and removed the other one with ease. Proffering her hand to Dani she pulled her to her feet before finally beaming "Well once I'm the Queen."

Racing each other up the stairs Dani reached the door first. Sticking out her tongue at a laughing Santana she pushed the door open to be greeted by her mother.
"We're just grabbing some shit to bring to the barn then we'll be out of your way." Dani said her jaw tensing immediately and the grin dropping from her face.

"Oh you're not in my way Danielle. I actually came in here to talk to you." Her Mom said sweetly, her words making Dani feel nauseous.
"It's Dani." Santana said surprising herself as the words hung in the room. Dani glanced back, a grateful, if not somewhat shocked, smile on her face. Santana just shrugged in response muttering to her "What? It is...."

Turning back to her mother with a renewed sense of confidence Dani sighed before saying "Well what is it you want to talk about?"
Cheri looked from Dani to Santana before awkwardly clearing her throat and announcing "I'm sorry sweetie. I know I should have called first before arriving unannounced today."

Santana glanced between Dani and her mother for a moment before clearing her throat. "Hey Dan I'm going to have a shower....give you two a minute. Just throw some clothes into the bathroom for me okay?"

Dani nodded giving her a fleeting smile before Santana left the room. Motioning to the bed Dani murmured "Take a seat."

Cheri sat down carefully fixing her pencil skirt as she did so. Dani suppressed the urge to roll her eyes and instead busied herself at her wardrobe. Who the hell wore a suit into the country? Were overalls suddenly too good for her?

"So Santana seems nice." Her mother said finally after Dani had removed a stack of clothes from her shelves. She had grabbed her and Santana sweatpants, Santana's an off cream colour with a maroon logo, her own a plain grey pair. Tossing the maroon hoodie from last night on top of Santana's pile she completed the outfit with navy t-shirt. Santana could pull anything off so she wasn't worried.

"Yeah she's pretty great." Dani concurred pulling off her top without hesitation. She could see her mother look out the window obviously taken aback by her daughter's sudden semi-nude state. "Seriously? I am wearing a bra you know." Dani sighed shrugging on a red Ramones t-shirt.

"I know sweetie. I just... I was expecting you to be so comfortable around me." Cheri said turning back to her, her voice painted with a touch of optimism. Dani scoffed. "I'm comfortable around everyone. I eat well, I work out, I rarely comfort binge. I'm pretty confident about my body. I like how I look."

"As you should be." Her mother smiled fiddling with the hem of her skirt. "I'll be right back." Dani said grabbing Santana's pile and strolling across the hall.