18

New York was loud.
Santana never realised how loud until she arrived back three weeks ago however now everything seemed deafening. She lay awake at five am trying to control her breathing. She had also forgotten how horrific nightmares felt until a week after she arrived home.

Leaning over her bed Santana grabbed a bag pack from underneath and pulled it open. She fumbled in the neon light cascading through the curtains for a moment before she found what she was searching for.

She lay back down and placed the black t-shirt beside her. It still smelt like Dani, faintly. It was the only thing that had been able to make her heart stop racing when she woke up.

She woke again at 7.30 when her alarm clock sounded and with a sigh of exhaustion she rose. She hid the shirt back under the bed and began to get dressed, inwardly cursing her sensibility.
In an attempt to get out of the house and not wallow in self-pity she had got a job in a local bodega. Unfortunately that meant working from 8.30 till 3.30 five days a week but it was a distraction.

She quickly left the house with a hurried goodbye to her grandmother and made her way to the nearest Starbucks. She had quickly thrown on black skinny jeans, a loose white tank top with a random logo and white converse. She didn't want to delay any longer so she vetoed straightening her hair and opted for a grey beanie instead. Makeup had obviously been necessary, she was back in the city, but she wished it hadn't been. Her skin had enjoyed the brief stint of freedom.

Tapping at her phone Santana kept her head lowered as she queued for her coffee. She placed her order, "Cinnamon dolce latte." and she stepped to the side to wait.

"I never realised exactly how New York you were. Christ what's wrong with coffee and milk?" a familiar voice said. Santana spun around quickly.

"Ciara? What the hell are you doing here?" Santana asked slipping her phone into her pocket shocked.
"Interning remember? It's my turn for a coffee run. Now come here." Ciara said spreading her arms to embrace Santana. Santana hugged back tentatively feeling unsure why Ciara was being so friendly toward her. She'd left a goddamned letter to say goodbye. She hated herself for it.

Ciara released her and stared at her for a moment. "You're a bitch for leaving Dani like that. But you two were in too deep too quick so I get it. Next time say goodbye though." Ciara said folding her arms and leaning on the counter.

She was wearing a light grey sweater with 'OFF DUTY' stamped on the front in white, a black skirt which was over the knee and grey flats. She was carrying a large black purse and her black hair was in loose curls around her face. She was very different from the Ciara who was wearing sweats and a tank top at the fire pit.

"To be honest I'm surprised you're even talking to me right now. I am a bitch." Santana relayed smiling at the barista who handed her her order with a sweet smile. She was always really nice to Santana in the mornings.

Ciara scoffed. "Oh please! You're a nice girl. A bit confused right now but doesn't change your personality." Ciara grabbed her two trays of coffees and raised an eyebrow to Santana. "Do you have somewhere to be or do you want to walk me to work?"

Santana glanced at her phone. It was 8. "I've got thirty minutes to kill." She grabbed one of the trays despite Ciara's protests and they began to walk down the bustling streets together.

"So how are you?" Santana asked sipping from her cup.
"I'm actually really good. This guy Shane I was sort of dating turned out to be a jackass. However this morning Ace texted to inform that me that the girl he was seeing on the side gave him herpes. So karma has made my day already." Ciara smirked taking a mug from her tray.

"Well that's good..." Santana laughed feeling at ease for the first time in weeks. "It really is." Ciara agreed smugly. "So how are you?" she asked as they rounded the corner.