19

4 weeks since she left.

4 weeks since the nightmares returns.

4 weeks since their first porch meeting.

The fence rattled beneath her as someone clambered onto it. Dani glanced, through heavy eyelids, to where Lacy was now perched, mere inches away from her.

"Don't even start." Dani sighed draining the end of her beer. She'd had five now...or was it six? Not that she cared much. The shots she'd taken upon arrived had given her that much needed numbness.

Lacy raised a hand in surrender. "I wasn't going to say anything." She assured Dani who raised an eyebrow sceptically. "What, it's the truth! As far as I was aware up until two months ago we were best friends. I'm not that fucked up to rub a breakup in your face."

Dani rolled her eyes muttering "Right." as she turned her gaze back observing the crowd around the fire pit.

"Why aren't you with the gang?" Lacy asked motioning toward a group huddled in a circle, which included Ace who every so often shot a worried glance toward her, checking she was in fact still there.

"I was earlier I just...I needed a minute to myself." Dani replied honestly, the alcohol preventing her usual verbal filter. "I get it." Lacy said and rubbed her arm supportively. Part of Dani was tempted to push her away but she chose not to. Instead she peered into her empty cup.

"I like your hair." Lacy noted observing Dani's newly brunette hair. It was shorter now, shoulder length, and had an undercut. It was slight ombred at the end.

"I've got vodka in the truck. Want to escort me to get it?" Dani asked hopping down from the fence and then pausing while she steadied herself, completely ignoring Lacy's compliment. Lacy looked like was going to refuse the offer but at a second glance at Dani's inebriated sense she chose not to.

"Sure." Lacy said following Dani as they strolled toward where the vehicles were parked. She felt her phone vibrate and when she checked it a message from Ace appeared on screen.

Don't take advantage of her right now. She's fragile.

Lacy glanced back to the group where Ace had his eyes fixed on both of them. Lacy shook her head and quickly replied.

Nothing's going to happen. She's always been my friend primarily. Calm down!

Lacy tucked her phone away and jogged to catch up with Dani who had shuffled ahead.

Once they had reached the truck Dani found the water bottle filled with vodka under her backseat. She slammed the door shut and then climbed into the truck bed. Lacy stood silently watching her movements unsure she should step in or not.

Dani unscrewed the cap and took a swig, grimacing when the harsh alcohol hit her throat. She glanced at Lacy and the patted the spot beside her. Lacy looked for a moment and clambered up beside her, gladly accepting a drink.

Dani took the bottle back followed by a swig. She watched Lacy staring into space for a moment. Lacy glanced to her sensing her gaze. "What?" Dani shrugged but then leaned forward.

Their lips collided and Lacy was stunned.

Once her shock faded she responded moulding her mouth to Dani's, the kiss feeling familiar. She soon opened her mouth Dani's tongue roaming the area which had once been common practice.

The bottle was dropped with a clang as Dani's body pressed against Lacy and they fell back onto the truck. Dani's hands reached up and cupped Lacy's chest and the other girl moaned into her mouth. Lacy tugged on Dani's bottom lip as they detached for a second, their heavy breathing the only sound permeating the air. Lacy noticed that Dani's cheeks were damp.