3

A warm breeze flowed over the congregation as crickets chirped and Tyler plucked the strings of his guitar. A red glow surrounded them, the sun just setting in the distance, over the fields filled with livestock. Santana was surprised the sun was only setting now. It was nine o'clock. In the city you lost sight of natural light midday.

Dani was perched on the swing set beside Ace, both trying to swing highest. Throughout the competition they could had not stopped laughing, Dani's laugh a welcome relief from the exhaustion.
Working till seven tonight had hit Santana hard. She had always assumed she was in her prime. She was a cheerleader after all. They practiced three times a week! But somehow lifting bale after bale and trudging through fields for six hours straight gave 'fit' a new definition.

Mr. Harper and Pops were slouched on the porch swing, each with a bottle of beer in their hands. They were smiling and laughing discussing the new honorary family member. She really wasn't used to hard work.

Santana, Tyler, Maddie and Jesse sat at the table littered with their empty plates. Mr. Harper had grilled up an absolute feast. Now twenty minutes after the food had been demolished they were relaxing with some root beers.

Suddenly Ace's swing reached a high point and he sprung off landing in a crouch beside the table causing Santana to gasp. Tyler snorted at her reaction and rolled his eyes at Dani. She in turn smiled at Ty and jumped down from her swing.

"So darling we're gonna go now. See y'all in the morning." Ace beamed swinging his arm around Dani and kissing her cheek. Jesse groaned and stood up stretching his arms above his head.

Ace grabbed his bottle and gulped the remainder of its contents. Dani smirked while Santana just looked confused. In response Dani raised three fingers. Silently counting down to one she raised her own bottle to her lips.
Upon the conclusion of Dani's countdown Ace released an almighty burp which caused everyone to laugh and Dani to shake her head.
"Please." She scoffed before finishing hers and matching his exhalation of gas with an equal amount of vigour.
Mr. Harper put his head in his hands chuckling while Pops tutted wearing an amused grin.

"If you had a vagina instead of a dick you two would be perfect for each other." Tyler said to Ace shaking his head. Santana froze. Had Dani's brother just ousted her like that in front of everyone?

Santana looked to Mr. Harper to gage his reaction. His brows furrowed as he replied, "Language Tyler and we all know Ace is far too feminine for Dani."
Pops tapped the neck of his bottle against his son's murmuring "I second that!"

Both Dani and Ace faked a look of offence before nodding to each. They both new he was right. Gender aside they would never work. Ace was far too co-dependent.

Santana felt as though she was in a state of shock. Everyone was okay with Dani's sexuality. What?! Personally she went between accepting it and complete denial but she knew for sure her family would not tolerate her potential sexuality. Romance existed between a man and a woman and everything else was a sin. Or so her Grandma said. But here everyone was making a joke out of it.

"Right buddy lets go." Ace declared snapping Santana out of her trail of thought. Maddie stood and her and Jesse hugged awkwardly.
"Wooo!" Tyler taunted from his chair and Dani glared at him. The child could be so god damned insensitive. Maddie's face flared red and they broke apart, Jesse running his hand through his short chestnut hair.

"Come on Romeo!" Ace smirked removing his arm from Dani's shoulders and placing it on Jesse's. "Bye guys!" he grinned pushing his little brother through the back door mocking Jesse about Young Love.

"Right I'm going to have a shower and get some sleep. Six a.m. start tomorrow children." Dani smiled collecting the plates from the table.
"Hey leave them sweetie it's Tyler's turn tonight." Her father instructed tipping his beer toward his son. Tyler glared at Dani who stuck out her tongue and sauntered to the door.
"Hey missy you can use our second shower first if you want." Mr. Harper said looking at Santana.
"Thanks Mr. Harper." She smiled shyly walking to the door.
"No problem kiddo. And it's Jason by the way. None of this Mr. Harper crap. That's my dad's name." he said winking at her. Pops snorted beside and announced "Please that's your grandfather's name!"

After her shower Dani walked into her room in a towel. She was wearing cute superwoman boy shorts beneath the towel but had forgotten to bring clean pjs into the bathroom with her.

Closing her door she dropped the towel and opened the closet door. Flittering through her clothes she finally pulled out a pair of dark grey shorts and an old black t-shirt. It had a honey coloured logo of band she'd long forgotten.

As Dani pulled her shorts up the door flung open and Santana strutted inside wearing tight black shorts and a crimson tank top, hugging her in all the right places.
"Shit!" she exclaimed noticing Dani's topless state. She turned to the wall after a slight linger which went unnoticed by Dani.
"Oh relax!" the blonde sighed pulling the top over her head, "They're just boobs. You have them too. Well either that or you are a master at bra stuffing."

"Yeah I know." Santana admitted turning slowly trying to prevent herself from seeing anymore skin. It was hard enough repressing her sexuality when there wasn't a very attractive girl's boobs in front of her.

"So your dad said I was staying here." Santana said unable to make eye contact with Dani.
"Oh cool. You want the right side of the bed or the left?" Dani asked putting her dirty clothes and towel in the laundry hamper.
"We're sharing the bed?" Santana questioned making a face. "Well I don't see another bed in here." Dani said raising an eyebrow.

"I just thought... well I don't know but I can't share a room." Santana declared hurriedly.
"Why? Do you turn into a werewolf at midnight or something?" Dani said releasing her hair from its grip. It was still a little damp but she was too tired to bother drying it.

"No I meant I can't share a room with you." Santana clarified placing a hand on her hip.
"Oh please don't tell me it's because I'm gay because I will seriously form an amorism." Dani said her eyes wide.

"Mm.. yeah. That its." Santana admitted clinging onto the excuse like a life raft.
"Oh my god you are so closed minded!" Dani exclaimed raising her hands exasperated.

"Everything okay in here?" her father asked as he walked by the room. "Super!" Dani muttered grabbing her pillow. "I'll be in Maddie's room because she's fucking afraid I'll try scissor her during the night or something!"

Jason looked between the two girls surprised for a moment. The only thing his daughter wouldn't tolerate was homophobia and he couldn't blame her. She should feel free to be who she wanted in her own home.

"Well if Santana has an issue with you or your sexuality there is a lovely couch downstairs for her. We don't judge in this house girl." Jason informed Santana removing Dani's pillow from her hand and placing it back on the bed. Leaving the room he glanced back to his guest. "You'd do well to remember that."

Dani couldn't sleep. She had been twisting and turning all night. The whole confrontation with Santana had put her on edge. She was annoyed and angry that someone could be so bigoted but she was also irritated with herself. Why did she care about what some girl thought of her?

Climbing out of bed she shrugged on a hoddie lying on the ground and tiptoed to the door. Creeping down the stairs she walked to the kitchen. She grabbed a glass and poured herself some juice from a jug inside the fridge. She stood leaning against the sink staring out at the night's sky. Thousands of stars were scattered across and Dani found comfort in their consistency.

Placing her empty glass on the counter she heard whimpers from the living room. She paused wondering she had just imagined it but then the noise radiated again this time followed by a 'please don't.'

Dani walked into the room worried about Santana. What was going on in there?

Upon entering the room it became clear Santana was having a nightmare. Her covers were thrown on the ground and she was twisting and turning. Beads of sweat coated her skin and her face was scrunched up in fear. Strands of her hair were stuck to her face from both her perspiration and tears.

"Hey Santana wake up." Dani whispered shaking her shoulder lightly. "Hey wake up." She repeated again and this time Santana bolted up, eyes wide. She panted peering around the room, fear evident.

"Santana it's okay. It's only me. It's Dani. You were having a nightmare. You're okay now." Dani tried to explain crouching down to her level. Santana tried to say something but she couldn't control her breathing. She was panicking and distress was taking control of her senses.

"Alright it's clammy and stuffy in here. Let's go onto the front porch and get some air." Dani soothed taking Santana's hands into her own. After a second Santana nodded and allowed Dani to lead them outside.
She felt safe now that Dani was here.