Chapter 2

I sank in my bed after school, and came to the realization of what my world was turning into. What was brainwashing my friends and family into loving this new world of social networking?

I slowly sat up on my bed, and turned on the television. Suddenly all my worries and problems went away when I saw the living face of beauty.

Joseph Maten!!

He was the major teenage heartthrob and had the voice of an angel. He became famous at the age of 15, and has been going strong since. To make it even better, he's my age. I swear my heart flutters every time I see him. And that is exactly what it is doing now.

It was a rerun of him performing on a late night show. Who cares who it was, because I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I would pay a million dollars for a chance to meet him. His skin would be smooth, his eyes would look right into mine, his voice.....

"Kayla! Can you come downstairs for a moment?"my mom yells up to my room, interrupting my thoughts.

I gradually get off my bed, and head downstairs. As I turn the corner into the kitchen, I see her and her boyfriend, James. They both look a little giddy, and I was skeptical to take another step in that kitchen. James was sitting at the bar, and Mom was standing across from him with a toothy smile on her face.

"Mom, I have homework so..." I say as I turn around to run back up to my room.

"Wait a minute." She says. "We have something to tell you."

We?

"James and I have decided that him and his daughter are going to move in with us."

If it were possible, I think my mouth would have literally dropped to the floor. I really don't mind James, but his daughter is a pain. Did I mention it's the stuck up cheer captain, Claire Chandlers. I have no idea where the heredity went, because James is really nice and Claire could jump off a cliff all I care.

When my mom saw my expression, her face softened.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"Noth- Nothing. When are they moving in?" I say.

"Friday."

And that might be the end of my life.

The next day at school, I kept getting funny looks from Claire. She looked as if she hated me for something I didn't do. Once, when I returned the look, she gasped and sent one of her minions out to get me. I found chewed gum stuck to every single empty space on my locker. This was the ultimate prank in this school which is really dumb.

Good thing I always come prepared. I thought to myself as I carefully opened my locker without touching a wad of gum. I eventually yanked it open, and pulled out a putty knife.

As I began scraping, Miranda walks up to me.

"Who got you?" She asks.

"One of Claire's minions." I dryly reply.

"Oh. Is it about the whole moving thing?" She says. I told them about my mishap earlier that morning.

"Yeah." I say as I scrape harshly at one of the wads that was firmly stuck on the locker.

"Well don't worry. Remember, she's staying at your house." She says as she starts off to her next class.

What she said was pretty true. I could simply ask my mom to not let them stay with us. On the other hand, what if I'm interfering with her happiness?

I finish scraping all the gum into a little bag, and dispose of it as I walk into my next class. It was science class which I had with Jasmine and Violet. Miranda was always in those advanced classes, so we rarely saw her during the day.