Chapter 3

"Could you please consider. Please! Please!" Jasmine pleads to me. It was Saturday afternoon, and we're hanging out in my room. She is trying to convince me to make an account on Instagram. She needs 1 more follower to get 500.

"You're using me to get a stupid follower."I say as I roll my eyes. "You've gotten this far without me. Why do you need me now?"

"Yes and no. I need a follower and you need a life."She says.

"A life? My life is not consumed with all that crap that you do on your phone."

"Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzz."She says making sure to stretch out the word to bother me.

I sit for a moment. We always told each other that we would go to the ends of the earth for anything that another friend needs. Was I willing to do that for Jasmine?

"Ok. Can I delete it after I follow you?" I say when I make up my mind.

"Yes! Yes! Yes!"She says jumping up and down on my bed.

Soon she is showing me the ins and outs of the app. It's actually interesting. There's tons of celebs, and it's a way to meet new people.

STOP KAYLA! You cannot give in to this app. You shall not surrender. I think to myself. This self pep talk is obviously not working, because every time I look away, my eyes slowly turn back. My eyes have officially been glued to Jasmine's screen.

Maybe this app won't be so bad after all. WHAT AM I SAYING?!?

"So what do you think?" Jasmine asks.

"It's okay, but-"

My sentence was interrupted when Claire bursts in my room.

"Have you seen my red lipstick?" She says rudely.

"What do I need red lipstick for. I don't even wear it." I say back.

She has been trying to accuse me for stuff since this morning. She said that I took something out of her box last night. The one that I thought was poisonous. I would never try to commit suicide like that.

"Well, I know your mom nor my dad took it!" Her voice starts to raise.

"Have you noticed that I only wear chapstick!" I say returning the tone.

"Well if it doesn't come up then you're going to buy me another one!"

"In your dreams. Never in a million years would I ever buy you anyth-!"

"What's going on?" James says. He had walked in the room when he heard us yelling at each other.

"Dad, Kayla stole my red lipstick." She says accusing me.

"Did she really steal it?" He says to her really slowly like she's five years old.

This is exactly why you don't bring your parents into something like this. You'll just easily get embarrassed in front of people like me who can black mail you for life.

She rudely stomps out of the room with a frustrated sigh/whine. I couldn't help but crack up. Seriously, how old is she?

Apparently, Jasmine couldn't contain herself either, because she laughed for forever.

"So, are you going to do this huge favor for me or not?" She asks.

"I guess."

After she leaves my house, I pull out my phone. I go to the app store. Then in the search bar, I type in Instagram. The app immediately comes on the screen. I hesitate for a moment, but I finally tap download.