Chapter 5

You have a new following request.

My phone continued to buzz while I stood outside to wait for my mom to pick me up. I guess Claire decided to ride the bus, because she wasn't outside when I came out of the school.

I had just gotten my 100th follower. Yes, that fast. My outlook has changed about social media, and I've began to understand why this has become an addiction for some people. I was so hypnotized by my phone that I didn't realize that my mom had pulled up until she started blowing the horn. I jumped out of my hypnosis, and hopped in the car.

"I love that you love the app, but where's my follow?" My mom says. I had forgot to follow her.

"Oh yeah. I will follow you as soon as I get home." I say.

When I get home, I find a method to try to get followers that don't go to my school. I go to Joseph Maten page and looks at his recent post. It was posted 5 hours ago, but people are still commenting on it. I tap some random girl who commented 1 minute ago, and follow her. In 2.5 seconds, she follows me back. I think I have found me a new method, so I continue to do that until I have followers coming from every which way. I was so happy, and that night I went to sleep with 200 followers. Not much, but it's way more followers than my mother will ever see.

Mom!! I thought to myself. I pull out my phone, and instantly follow her.

The next day at school, Alexa comes toward me while I was talking to my friends at our lockers.

"Prep alert! Prep alert!" Miranda whisper/screams when she sees Alexa walking toward us.

"Don't worry, I think her and Kayla are friends now." Jasmine says.

I simply stand there until she reaches us.

"How is my life saver doing today?" She says as the rest of her crew crowds around us.

"Life saver?" I say with a puzzled expression.

"Yeah, you saved my life from that stalker, Claire."

"Oh..."

"So, I'm having a party on Friday. Maybe you and your.....clan can stop by." She says.

Jasmine lets out a squeal and gives me a look that says, You better say that we're going.

"So how about it?" Alexa waits for my reply.

"Sure. W-We'll st-stop by." I stutter.

"Ok. I'll just text you the information." She says and hands me a slip of paper. Then her and her group leaves.

"You have her number?" Miranda asks.

"I do now." I reply when I unfold the slip of paper.

Jasmine nearly faints, but Violet catches her. We all start walking toward our class.

During art class, I sit with Alexa and her friends. Today is Tuesday, and I have 3 days to figure out what I will wear to Alexa's party. Claire keeps giving me these funny looks, but I feel super confident. Today must have been the best day of my life!

Friday Afternoon

I flop down on my bed in frustration. I just got a text from Miranda saying that she won't be able to go to the party. Good thing I still have Jasmine and Violet. Then, my phone buzzes.

Wish I could make it but I have to go to a stupid wedding with my mom. Take pics!!

This was a text from Jasmine.

Now I only have Violet. I think to myself. I wait for a moment for my phone to buzz again, but nothing happens. I sigh in relief.

"Kayla, you didn't tell me that Claire wasn't going to the party." My mom says as she walks into my room.

"You didn't ask."

"Well I figured that she would be invited judging by her social status." She says taking a look at my outfit. I had on a white crop top with a skirt, my blue jean jacket, and converse.

"Well she wasn't." I reply.

"I think you should take her with you."

"So she can stalk Alexa? I don't think so." Is what I wanted to say, but I ended up saying, "I don't think she wants to go."

"Well I'm not going to let her mope around the house the way she is. I already told her to get dressed."

"Ok." I say reluctantly.

Violet is driving so she comes to pick us up at around 7:30. The party starts at 8.

"Why is she getting in my car?" Violet asks.

"I was forced to bring her." I say as I slide into the front seat.

"And I was forced to go." Claire snaps as she gets into the back.

When we pull up to Alexa's house, the party is already in full swing. Drunk jocks are running all over the front lawn, and girls are all in their little cliques talking away. We end up parking down the street from the house.

When we walk into the house, Alexa runs up to us. She stops abruptly.

"You've got to be kidding me." She says looking at me. "You brought this little creep with you." She was referring to Claire.

"My mom made me bring her." I say back.

"She can stay, but she isn't going to be up my butt all night." She says as she takes my hand and drags me into her kitchen. It wasn't as crowded as the rest of her house, but it reeked of beer.

Alexa pours something in a plastic red cup(Why the plastic red cups all the time?),and hands it to me. Violet and Claire are nowhere to be seen. I take a whiff of the liquid inside the cup, and start to gag.

"C'mon drink it." Alexa urges me. "Drink it! Drink it! Drink it!" She says pumping her fist. A crowd starts to form around us, and I become anxious. I had never taken a drink before in my life, and I don't even know what my mom would say about this. But isn't this what all high school parties are like?

I take a tiny sip, and a rush of tang is sent down my throat.

"Is that all you've got?" A guy from the crowd says.

I hurry, and chug the rest down. I choked back the tears in my eyes, and take a deep breath. Alexa snatches the cup from my grip, and pours more.

And I took my second drink......

A/N Vote and Comment!!!

I wanted to update on New Year's Day, so that's what I did. I hope you guys like the chapter. The picture is of Kayla's outfit. Today I reached 500 reads and my next goal is 750. Keep reading guys!!