Chapter 4

In church, I itched to get my phone out and start scrolling through the feed. I couldn't help it. I think I've been infected with this social media disease. I pulled out my phone, but in a split second it was back in my pocket. My mom had given me a sharp look. When is this going to end?

After church, I ran to the car and my phone was coming out of my jacket pocket the second I got into the car.

"What's up with you and your phone?" Claire asks.

"Uhh.." I say slowly looking up. "Important text message."

"From who? You only have 4 contacts in your phone."

"And who may that be?" I shoot back at her. She has been insulting ever since we left to go to church.

"That wannabe cheerleader, the freak that wears all that makeup, the nerd who everyone cheats off of, and your mom that acts like she's 16." She says. We were the only ones in the car, because Mom and James were socializing.

I was really close to back handing her, but chose not too. At least not on church ground. Why would you talk about someone who you're living with and who is paying the bills?

Mom and James hop in the car, and James suggested that we stop by the store. He was planning to cook dinner tonight. During the ride, I was on Instagram. I decided that I was going to post my first picture when I got home.

"Who wants to go shopping?" Mom asks as she turns around to face us in the back seat.

I faked an upset stomach, and Claire said that she had homework due tomorrow. We lied because we didn't want to spend another second with each other. Mom looked a little disappointed when we made our excuses, but nodded her head and turned back around.

When we got home, I went straight to my room. My first post would just be a selfie. Nothing more, nothing less.

After I took it, I typed,
First post.. I'm a newbie here! Follow for a follow?

I didn't want to sound desperate for followers like Mom and Jasmine, but I did want to get a generous amount of them. I quickly tapped post before I had more time to doubt myself. Now it was time to wait for the followers. After about five minutes, I checked my phone. I had two new followers. When I looked to see who it was, it was Jasmine and Mom. This is going to be harder than I thought.

As I lagged into school the next morning, I saw a wave of blue and white. That was our school colors and this week was spirit week.I had totally forgotten about it, but judging by Claire's outfit, I had threw on a pair of white jeans, a blue shirt, and my white converse.

"Hiya!" Miranda says as she walks toward me. She was wearing a white collar shirt, blue plaid skirt, and blue flats.

"Why the bags under your eyes sweetheart?" Jasmine says following behind her. She was wearing something similar to Miranda. She was wearing a white crop top, blue skater skirt, and blue sandals.

Violet, as always, was being a rebel and didn't wear the school's colors.

"Just tired." I reply.

Before I could start a conversation, Jasmine was dragging me to the restroom to give me a "touch up". This really means that I'll be looking like a barbie doll for the rest of the day. After my makeover, we still had five minutes before the bell.

"How about a picture?" Jasmine suggests.

We all nod our heads.

"We can do it on Kayla's phone so she can post it on her new Instagram." Jasmine continues.

I knew this was going to come up. I bet she has already been asking random people to follow me. I take out my phone and see that I already have five following requests. They are all from people at my school. I click accept on all of them and hand Jasmine my phone. We all pose in the mirror and take the picture. Then, I post it.

Taking pics with my friends before the bell.

That is what I type for the caption. My phone instantly goes off and I see that Jasmine liked it. I look over and see her on her phone. She is fast.

Ring!!

We hurry out the restroom, and head for class.

My last elective is art, and I have it with a huge group of popular students that unpopular students like to call "The Preps". It's kind of unoriginal, but again this is a cliche high school. The queen bee was Alexa Johnson. That was the only person that Claire wasn't in control of. She was always finding ways to try to impress Alexa. That is exactly what she tried to do today during art class.

I sit down at my table, and take out a pencil.

"Ok class. Today we will be painting a picture of this bowl of fruit." My teacher, Mr. Edwards, says. Why does it always have to be a bowl of fruit?

As I got up to get a palette for my paint, I saw Claire smear something in my chair in the corner of my eye. When I go back to my seat, I find a huge puddle of red paint in my chair. She was obviously aiming towards my white pants. I turn towards Claire.

"Good one Claire! I admire your effort, but I think you're going to have to try a little bit harder to impress Alexa." I say.

Alexa bursts into a heap of laughter, and Claire's face reddens.

"Wow, I didn't need red paint to make your face red." I say.

Alexa cracks up, and I see a tear fall from her eye. Claire asks for a pass from class, and she storms out of the room. Alexa motions for me to come sit in Claire's seat. I stand there stunned.

Alexa was a 5 foot 4 masterpiece. Everyone wanted to be her. Her makeup was effortless, and she always started the new styles. She had brown hair with blonde highlights. The highlights are actually birthmarks in her hair. She was mixed, so her skin was a pretty shade. Today, she straightened her hair, because it was naturally curly.

"Are you going to sit down or just stand there?" Alexa says breaking my trance.

"Yeah." I say taking the seat.

After art class, Alexa approaches me and wraps one arm around me.

"That was hilarious the way you talked to Claire. Now I have a reason to give her the cold shoulder." She says. "She's been stalking me for 2 months now."

I proudly give her a smile.

"Is it true that you guys live with each other?" She asks.

"Unfortunately."

"What?! That's so funny. She's living with the person that embarrassed her." She says not hiding her chuckles.

"Yep. That's me." I say.

"Your little friend has been running around school telling people to follow you on Instagram." Alexa says.

"That's Jasmine."

"Well, I think you've earned my follow. And once I follow you, everyone follows you." She says, and walks away.

I stand in the middle of the hallway, and try to process what she just said. If she follows me, then the whole school follows me. Maybe plus some. Slowly, I started to smile. I couldn't wait to tell Jasmine.

A/N Vote and Comment!!
I literally wrote this today. Sorry if it is short. I hope you guys like. Thank you so much for reading!! Don't forget to leave a vote and a comment. Thanks!!
~midnight_misfit~