Book 2⌇8. Target Acquired: Lord Enzo

Chapter 8 ∣  Target Acquired: Lord Enzo

-Zak

Spinning around, I notice Lord Enzo looming behind Evicka. She reaches for her dagger, but he immediately takes hold of her wrist, twisting her arm and pinning it behind her back. The dagger clatters onto the tiled rooftop.

He took her off guard...

...I didn't expect a lord to come to us, and I don't think she did either.

"Killian!" I yell, but he won't turn his back on the four vampires in front of him, leaving us completely exposed.

My eyes move back and forth between Killian to Evicka. I must make a choice...

Killian told me to protect her...

"You," Lord Enzo locks his black rose eyes with my white ones. Apparently, he still recognizes me through the bandanna when he states, "Lucca was right. That means-"

Lord Enzo twists Evicka in his grasp, locking her wrists in front of her chest; bringing them to come face to face with one another. He snarls with anger, "Lucca saved a traitor. Who are you?!"

Evicka struggles, but his hold on her is strong. She sweeps her right foot backward, catching Lord Enzo by surprise as she pulls him toward her. She rockets forward, sending them both over the roof and onto the street beneath us.

"Go!" Killian spits as he viciously attacks the four vampires. A scream echoes and I notice he's already killed one of them.

How?

He didn't even move...

Not wanting to speculate further at this moment, I run to the edge of the roof, my foot resting on the fascia. I look down...

...it's a three-story drop.

It seems that as Lord Enzo and Evicka hit the ground, they'd separated. That doesn't last long though...

"You're working with the hunters?" Lord Enzo questions her while they circle around each other. I take a deep breath, leaping off the rooftop and hitting the ground before rolling forward.

Lord Enzo narrows his eyes at me and hisses, "He's not even your pet, is he?"

Evicka smirks in return, "Well...technically, he does belong to me. But no, he's not my pet and no, I'm not working with the hunters."

Lord Enzo darts forward, but Evicka finally gains her control once again, the strong, pureblood hunter that I've come to know and admire is finally shining through again. She backflips, landing solidly on a trash compactor while staring down her target.

In a flash, I take off, running straight at Lord Enzo. His attention is drawn away from Evicka and directed at me. He's about to grab me, but I spin around him, slashing one of my daggers across his back and immediately dropping to the ground out of harm.

"Fucking hunter!" Lord Enzo growls, throwing a fast punch down at me. Just as he's about to make contact, I roll two feet away and onto my chest. I push off the ground, seeing the hole that Lord Enzo has created with his fist in the ground.

"Killian!" Evicka cries out. She hears the same yell as I do, but she's much faster than I. She jumps from the trash compactor, only to have Lord Enzo clamp his hand around her ankle in mid-air.

"Your fight is with me!" Lord Enzo sends her flying into one of the building walls. He follows up, rushing her and bring his knee to contact her stomach. Evicka cries out in pain as she gasps for air, Lord Enzo taking hold of her neck with one of his hands while the other punches her in the stomach again.