Book 2⌇20. Differences Aside

Chapter 20 ∣  Differences Aside

-Zak

As Locaine's jet lands on the north side of the fort, I can see two bodies, decapitated and surrounded by copious amounts of blood staining the green grass.

Jesus Christ! Evicka...

She's nowhere in sight.

The door opens, the top of it touching down on the ground, allowing Locaine to exit the jet.

After Locaine had unsuccessfully tried to bring Evicka back, he'd rounded up Janie, Rainier and I to help him along with Killian and Lucca.

I think he's just using us as pawns...

I'm uneasy around him. Yea...imagine that, a hunter frightened by the pureblood King. No one can blame me, and I can see the same fear coming from Janie's eyes. Her red and black hair is pulled up into a tight ponytail, grasping tightly onto the broadsword she has.

I receive a growl from Lucca as he passes beside us to follow Locaine. I can't blame his anger...he has no idea what happened to Evicka.

Annnnnd I entirely got blamed for not stopping her. How the hell was I supposed to stop her? I mean, he has met her...

Locaine made sure Annika stayed behind, leaving her in the capable hands on Kenzie. He lost her before, and he doesn't want to lose her again. He has his hands full with his stubborn daughter. After informing us about how Ronan was able to control blood magic through the mixture of his own blood, he doesn't want to provide him with another weapon by letting Annika come along.

"Let's go," I whisper to Janie, Rainier exiting the jet before us. With a quick kiss on my lips, Janie pulls back and smiles.

"Let's go get our coven leader back!" She smiles heading toward the door of the jet.

I hadn't thought of it like that...

In a way, we all respect her, and she tries to keep us safe the best way she knows how. Our unofficial leader...well, she's with Lucca now, so technically she could very well be a leader as well. Not to mention she is their princess...eh, vampire social ladder...still never really understood it that much.

"Locaine," I can hear Lucca's voice from outside the jet. I don't waste any more time, making sure my two medium length daggers are secure at my waist.

"I know..." Locaine is standing a few feet away from the lifeless body lying on the grass.

Where are you, Evicka?

Locaine and Lucca suddenly and unexpectedly turn around, scanning the outer perimeter of the area. I can't sense anything, but apparently they can.

"Their coven members left them," Lucca growls, his fangs elongating. I cross my arms in front of my waist, drawing my daggers as I glance at Janie and Rainier. They too are ready for whatever these two purebloods are sensing.

Locaine tilts his head in the direction of Killian stating, "I don't recognize any of them."

"Neither do I," Killian steps lightly toward the three of us, almost as if he's going to protect us from the imaginary boogeymen.

"Them?" Rainier is the first of us to finally speak, asking the question that's all on our minds.

Killian wraps around behind us, watching our backs as we stare at Lucca and Locaine with apprehension.

"Rogue vampires," Lucca's eyes are now a black rose, a very eerie contrast to his usual color.

I'd heard about rogue vampires, but I'd never met any in my life. When the vampires took over, there was no reason to not belong to a coven. Why would any vampire what to run on its own? The only reason I can think of is that they despise the laws and regulations that Locaine put in place.